Saturday, November 14, 2015

Finally Friday

It was still windy and cloudy on Friday morning but the rain held off on the drive into work. I was supposed to take a baggie of chicken tenders out of the freezer to thaw for dinner tonight, but I forgot…

About 11:00 a.m., it started to rain and snow. Sigh…

Vicky and I braved the rain/snow mix and the cold to go to the Newburgh Grill.

Sidebar: With the wind, it felt a lot colder than they predicted. I should have worn my winter coat today!!!

We both ordered soup. I picked clam chowder (eh…) and she asked for the chicken noodle. I’ve had their chicken with rice and their chicken and dumpling and didn’t like either. But, I forgot to ask her how it tasted!

Then she ordered her famous Greek salad (she’s back on her healthy track – going to the gym, eating right, etc.). I say “famous” because they already know what she wants: a small Greek salad, with no beets (no beets?), no onions and topped with grilled chicken.

I am not on a healthy kick, so I was going to get two chili dogs and fries. But, at the last minute, I switched the chili dogs for a club sandwich. That was a mistake!

Sidebar: They look great, but how the hell do you eat a club sandwich? They are too big for my mouth. So, are you supposed to squish them and then bite?

I ended up disassembling them, eating most of the turkey half, but leaving a lot of lettuce, tomato, bacon and bread on my plate. It was a hot mess!!!

Should have stuck with the chili dogs…

Back at work, I got sleepy in the afternoon and had to drink two cups of coffee to make it to five o’clock.

Back at home, I got out the chicken tenders and started thawing them in the microwave.

I made up my grocery list for tomorrow while I waited.

I had to hit the thaw button twice, but eventually it worked.

It was getting late, so I just did the quickie Hellman’s Parmesan Crusted Chicken. I mixed together about 1/2 cup of mayonnaise with 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese. I smeared that on all the chicken tenders (the recipe calls for boneless, skinless chicken breasts). I sprinkled them with Italian bread crumbs.

Sidebar: I went a step further (just for looks and to use them up) and topped that with shredded Parmesan.

I stuck them in a preheated 425 degree oven and set the timer for 20 minutes.

Now for a side. I realize this morning rice would have been nice. But I didn’t think of it then and just made some wide egg noodles with butter, salt and pepper.

The timer went off and I plated the dish.

It was pretty good! I ate it watching the start of the hockey game. I put the left overs away when they cooled.

I went back to the hockey game but fell asleep long before it ended (we lost, BTW).

When I woke up to go to the bathroom, I shut everything off and went to bed for real.


  1. Dinner looks yummy and fast...nice! Stay warm.

  2. It was good. Harder to stay warm though...