Monday, October 19, 2015

Saturday's Story

I woke up at 5:00 a.m. on Saturday. It was 33 degrees here in Redford and the temperature was falling.

I gave up all hope of sleeping in and stripped the bed, starting the weekend wash.

I made some scrambled eggs with chives. I topped them with cheese and ate a great breakfast. Then I shaved, showered and got dressed to run errands.

It was 31 degrees when I left the house at 9:00 a.m., BTW. I went to Office Depot, Meijer’s, Home Depot, Westborn, Kroger’s and finally the Post Office. I was home by 10:45 a.m., so it was kind of a blitz errand run.

I unloaded the truck and put everything away. Then I started another load of laundry and the dishwasher.

Then I got back to Vicky’s cabinet doors. Since she’ll be here tomorrow, it will be a great time to show her a sample and get her blessing. No sense in doing them all and finding out she doesn’t like them.

So. I picked one of each styles and a drawer. The original uppers still need more stripping, but I took the best one.  I set up a station in the garage and sanded the hell out of it. I blew that off and got started.

First I used the “deglosser” and a scrub pad to clean each door and the drawer front. When that dried, I applied the base coat. That had to dry for three hours. Then I reapplied it and set the timer for three more hours. I took a nap to pass the time.

Then I applied the “decorative glaze.” You put it on with a foam brush and then wipe it off with some sort of cheesecloth pad. I did each door and the drawer face a little different, so she could pick out the one she liked best. I let them all dry overnight.

Note: I did NOT apply the top coat. That way I can still adjust the amount of glaze.

I made some shrimp scampi over linguine for dinner. I used an Ina Garten recipe to turn a baguette into garlic bread. I put six finely minced gloves of garlic into 1/4 cup of olive oil and warmed them up in a saucepan. I cut the baguette into 1/2 inch slices on the diagonal.

I brushed the bread with the infused oil and set them on a half sheet pan. I sprinkled them with shredded Parmesan cheese and put them in the oven.

Here’s where things went wrong…

I watched them closely to get a nice toasty look (and I did). But, it dried them out too much and they were so crunchy it hurt your mouth to eat them! Dammit!

But, the shrimp scampi was good.

I got a text from Vicky. There is apparently a family birthday party her Mother forgot  to mention, so they have to come over at 10:00 a.m. instead of 2:00 p.m. as we had previously discussed.

I checked on the doors once more before going to bed at 11:00 p.m.