Monday, September 21, 2015

Sunday’s Road Trip

I eased into Sunday morning after getting up, closing the windows and turning the furnace on. I did the usual Sunday morning chores and filled in the Blog. I made another ham and cheese omelet for breakfast.

Jake called and we all talked for a while, catching up (he had me on speakerphone).

After we hung up, I started straightening the house. Somehow or another, time got away from me and I realized I was going to be late for the family reunion! So, I sent my Brother Carl a text telling him I was still coming. Then I shaved, showered, got dressed, snipped chives on top of my beets and took off.

Traffic was light and there was no construction, so I got there about 1:15 p.m. Now, it officially starts at 1:00, but I like to get there early to set up the tables and chairs, etc. There were only a few people there and my Brother Carl wasn’t one of them.

People kept showing up and the food table kept filling up. It was nice to see everybody again. I didn’t count heads, but it did seem there were far fewer people there this year. On the other hand, there were a lot more bees, both inside and out. While it started out cool, the temperature climbed with the sun and it was a perfect fall day.

I took a few photos at the beginning, but noticed people were uncomfortable with me doing that, so I stopped.

Jeremy showed up and introduced me to his friend Amanda and her two boys. She seemed very nice.

People started eating, so I fixed a plate. Everybody seemed to like my beets and several people asked for the recipe. That made me feel good.

I noticed I was limping. These days, when my back hurts, the pain eventually moves into my legs. I assume it’s my sciatic nerve or something.

When Jeremy was leaving, he asked if I wanted to say hello to Riese. I hadn’t realized she came, but had decided to read a book in the van. So, I walked over with Jeremy and chatted for a brief while with her.

It was great to see Jamie and David, as always, along with Carolyn, Mary, Donna and Mark and Anna. Then there was Carl’s gang and the Uplegers. As Anna said, it’s too bad it’s only once a year.

A big surprise was that my Brother George’s daughter, Lora, came! I haven’t talked to her in years.

I left about 4:15 p.m. thinking I could get home before the sun was low enough to be in my eyes. That worked until the last 15 minutes or so. Again, light traffic and no construction meant I got home just before 5:30 p.m. I put 110 miles on the truck.

I changed clothes and got to work on another section of the garden. I forgot to take the before picture, before. So, I grabbed the camera and took the before picture and the wheelbarrow with the weeds I had already pulled out.

I weeded up to the rose bush and then put down two more bags of mulch. The sun was going down, so I quit for the night.

Back inside, I did the last of the weekend wash. I heated up more kielbasa and sauerkraut for a late dinner.

I watched “The French Connection” on Netflix, but dozed off before the end.


  1. Good seeing you as well. Gardens looking great.....what are you using for mulch? looks nice!

  2. Shredded cedar mulch, but it's getting more and more difficult to find. Seems like both Home Depot and Lowe's are pushing either the Vigaro colored mulch or the rubber mulch. I'm not a fan of either.

  3. Looks like a great day!