Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Pizza Day!

It was hot even when I woke up on Tuesday (okay, not SC hot, but hot for MI).

We had lost our voice and data network on most of the campus Monday around 2:30 p.m. It’s a long story exactly just why. But, suffice it to say everybody was running around either trying to fix it, setting up Cradlepoints and granting VPN access, etc.

My personal task on Monday was to find a vendor (any vendor) who could ship 11 Cradlepoints overnight (nobody seemed to have that many on hand and/or able ship them overnight) while Fred tried to find somebody (anybody) who could get us 11 SIMMS cards for them.

My boss had told me not to come in early (I’m usually there by 7:30 a.m.), but to send her a text at 8:00 and she would let me know if it was worth coming in. I was going to do that, but I was ready for work, so I just came in anyway and beat her in. The network was still down.

So, Tuesday morning at 10:00 p.m. Fedex brought in the Cradlepoints I had ordered off the Web. Fred’s guy took a little longer, but finally came through.

Our Director decided to give everyone a break and buy pizzas for lunch. My boss suggested Buddy’s and asked me to order 10 various pizzas, five two-liter sodas and three chicken tortilla soups (one for her, one for Vicky and one for me - my boss's suggestion as we all love that stuff) on the corporate credit card.

It turned out that Buddy’s didn’t deliver, so I offered to pick them up (I wasn’t doing anything, anyway). So, I did. I sent Vicky a text to come back (she was running the Help Desk from another building. She wasn’t able to get free until after 2:00 p.m.!

So, everybody but her took a short break to eat and catch their breath. Then they went back to work. I went to Lowe’s and bought more dirt and two more sedum.

Sidebar: I didn’t see my brother’s comment on my Blog yet – turns out he has lots and offered to give me some.

I went back to my personal project: Without the network or internet, I was slowly going through years of files in both my documents and picture folders and deleting stuff I saved (I save everything) but no longer needed.

The LAN/WAN admins and our paid consultants couldn’t fix the real problem, so they came up with a temporary Plan B and the network and phones came on in the afternoon.

I had a ton of pizza left (Michelle would have known that 10 was too much), so I offered it to anybody who wanted to take some home. My boss, Vicky, Nate and I all ended up with a mixture of various pizza pieces.

Once I was home, I quickly changed into shorts and t-shirt and went outside. I mixed up more magic dirt and then planted my sedum. They looked pretty good, I thought.

Then I watered the herb garden, the back flower gardens and the window box. When I came in, I was hot and sweaty and it was almost 7:30 p.m.

Sidebar: we hit 90 humid degrees here.

I took a quick rinse-off shower and then ate two pieces of cold pizza watching a NCIS rerun. When It was over at 9:00 p.m., I went to bed.


  1. Sounds like you got a lot done and got to eat pizza! The flowers look awesome! Are you done planting for the season?

  2. Looks Nice, but Free looks nicer!!!

  3. @ Carla: Still have to transplant some hostas, but its too hot for that.
    @ GPF: Yeah, saw your comment a bit too late...

  4. Is that rust on your fairy or does she just have dirty feet?

  5. Not rust, some sort of dirty rain or something.