Monday, August 3, 2015

Sunday's Storm

I eased into Sunday morning. I had a cup of coffee and did the usual Sunday morning chores. Then, I decided I wasn’t that hungry, so I had another cup of coffee instead. I sat on the front porch in the rocker and drank it out there.

It was already warm, muggy and windy.

I finally shaved, showered and got dressed. I left after 10:00 p.m. for Costco and a k-cup refill. I came back home and putzed until noon.

Then I went to the Post Office and bought some stamps (my water bill took my last one).

Once back home, I changed into shorts and a tee. Then I went into the stifling garage and got to work.

Sidebar: I mentioned it was windy. But the wind was from the southwest and didn’t even enter the garage. I got down the other half of the pegboards and then the 2x2’s that held both sections out from the “wall.”

About that time, my neighbor walked over. He and his wife had driven by and saw me working.

We discussed the project and I told him I should be ready for him on Monday or Tuesday at the latest. It’s important that he get this done this week, as his other job is nearby (Inkster and Joy Road). After that, the next job is in Romulus and too far to move easily back and forth.

I took a break (well, I took a lot of breaks – drinking gallons of water and wiping my face with a wet washcloth) and watered the vegetable garden. They are forecasting storms tonight, but I don’t know if I believe them.

I got everything of the shelves and into boxes or the trash. Then I disassembled the shelves themselves and I was done!!!

I took a photo for you and had to laugh. I forgot the graffiti on the wall (it’s all over the attic as well). 

I gratefully went inside and into the air conditioning. I threw my sweat-soaked clothes in the washer and took a shower. Then I took the rest of the night off.

I ate the rest of the pierogies and onions for dinner.

The weather radio started going off around 7:30 p.m. It’s a very loud noise, designed to wake you up and save your life. But it’s very annoying if you are awake and watching TV three feet away from it!

The message was always the same: severe thunderstorm warning! The first time, I got up and looked outside. It was 93 degrees and windy (really windy) but sunny without a cloud in the sky. Eh…

I went to bed around 10:00 p.m. But the radio woke me up around 11:00 p.m. Dammit! I turned it off and then tried to go back to sleep. But, I heard a big boom of thunder. So, I went into the living room and watched the light show for a while. It looked like we were getting a decent amount of rain (and we need it here in Redford). I didn’t see any hail (thank God – my truck’s outside). When the storm started grumbling instead of booming, I went back to sleep.

Sidebar: I went out Monday morning and checked the rain gauge. I got almost 1 1/2 inches of rain last night! That should help the gardens and the lawn for a while.


  1. "I took a photo for you and had to laugh. I forgot the graffiti on the wall (it’s all over the attic as well)." Who the hell had this house before you man?

    We haven't had much rain here and it's been in the 100's...not fun at all!

  2. LOL! Don't you remember all the graffiti up in the attic? Yeah, I been watching you weather and worrying. Jake must be exhausted, watering all that grass...