Sunday, July 5, 2015

Saturday, Crippled Up

I could barely walk Saturday morning. My left knee (the artificial one) was killing me. I had to use the cane even in the house.

I did make it to my massage. Margaret asked me how I was feeling (she always does), so I told her the truth (I always do).

I was telling her I still needed to get the trees out of the tall gutters, but didn’t think I’d be able to do that today. She offered to come over and do it for me! I refused (of course), but was touched, because she really meant it.

From there, I went to Kroger’s. Thankfully, there was a basket next to the handicapped spot I parked in. It was much easier to walk, clinging to the basket, than using the cane.

Unfortunately, I forgot my list. I got most everything on it except for some potatoes.

So, when I got home, I left the truck outside (I wanted to add more stripper to the original doors).

Inside, I hard-boiled some eggs for potato salad. I had bought a red pepper (for the potato salad – I have radishes and celery), some hot dogs and pretzel buns. I’d planned on a real Fourth of July cook out! But, then I discovered I only had three small Yukon Gold potatoes! Damn.

I checked my phone and saw Jake had called while I was getting my massage. So, I called him back and we chatted for a while. During the course of our conversation, I asked him if he thought I could mix regular potatoes with sweet potatoes (I had three big ones of those) for potato salad. He nixed my idea, thinking the textures wouldn’t work. Damn.

After we hung up, I took another Celebrex and went to bed. I stayed there most of the day, watching TV and napping. My knee did not improve.

About 7:00 p.m. I realized the truck was still outside. But the problem was my cane was no longer enough. I could really use one of my two walkers or (better yet) my rolling walker. However, they are all up in the attic. So, I used my cane in one hand and the Wet-Jet in the other. I limped out there and got the truck inside. Then I took another Celebrex and went back to bed.

I opened the bedroom window and raised the mini-blinds so I could watch the fireworks. They have been shooting them off all day – it sounds like a war zone out there.

Once it was dark, they got a lot more colorful. Most of them were either below the tree line or out of my limited sight. But somebody (either a nearby neighbor or someone with more powerful fireworks) was putting up a magnificent display that I could see.

I couldn’t find a comfortable position, so I stayed awake watching a rerun of Saturday Night Live. Then I finally fell asleep.


  1. My replaced knee hurts as well......doctors took xrays and said it is beautiful.
    Why don't you use the electric cart in the store? So much eaiser.
    Happy Fourth (although it didn't sound too happy.) Macaroni salad is good too

  2. Thanks for the great advice!