Sunday, July 12, 2015

On the Road again…

I was supposed to go to the dentist at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday morning for a cleaning. But, I called and cancelled. Why? Because it wasn’t raining and, more importantly, there was NO wind.

Let me explain: Will all the recent rain, the grass and weeds are over-running my driveway. I have been wanted to spray an herbicide on it, but every time I have the time, there’s a breeze. It took me this long to get my lawn back and I don’t want to inadvertently wreck it. So, I’ve been waiting for the perfect day.

I mixed up the stuff in my sprayer. I took a before picture (I’ll post it when I have an after picture) and then began spraying. It’s not fun and hurts my back but, luckily, my back (and the herbicide) lasted long enough to finish the job.

Sidebar: It was already hot and muggy. My tee shirt was soaked with sweat.

I came back inside, changed my shirt and washed my crocs. That stuff is wicked and, if I forgot and walked out back, it might kill some of that grass.

I started the weekend wash. Then I straightened up the house. About 1:00 p.m., I took my second shower of the day. I had a wedding to go to.

My friend Leon’s daughter, Erin was getting married. But, married with a twist. Both she and her fiancee are big sports people. In fact, they met playing on a baseball team. So, they decided to get married on home plate at the Cooley Law School Stadium (Home of the Lansing Lugnuts).

Since B___ had to get to I-96, he would be close to my house, so he offered to pick me up on the way. He got here about 2:30 p.m. I decided not to take the walker, so I put my cane, card and the handicap sticker in his car and we took off.

It was a long hike and, surprisingly, traffic was heavy. But, we hadn’t see each other for a long time, so we spent the time chatting about everything.

We finally got there and luckily found a spot to park. Parking is limited at the stadium and you normally have to park in paid parking places further away.

We went in and found the area. We couldn’t find Leon or Cathy, but they had little kids (dressed in red shirts that said “Security” on the back) as guides. Cute.

The baseball theme was further carried out (did I mention the wedding invitation was a stadium ticket?) by being handed a Program. The four page program listed the order of events, the lineup (bridesmaids and groomsmen), the menu (cheese burgers, jumbo hot dog, chili cheese dog, corn dog, brats, French fries, chili cheese fries and nachos), Frequently Asked Questions (how they met, where he proposed, where they are going on the honeymoon, etc.) and on the back, a special thanks to their parents for their love and support.

At each seat, there was a box of Cracker Jacks and a pen, shaped like a baseball bat, with their names on it and the date.

“Security” took us to the correct bleacher section and we walked about half way down (where we were still in the shade). They played the Star Spangled Banner and then the wedding got underway.

Both the bridesmaids and the groomsmen wore baseball jerseys. The organ planed the traditional wedding march and Leon walked Erin down to the field.

It was a traditional ceremony after that.

We walked back up to the concourse and talked with Leon for a bit. He left for more duties and B___ and I got something to eat. I got a hot dog and some fries and B___ got a cheeseburger.

I ran into Cathy and congratulated her. I asked where Erin was (so I could talk to her, too) and she said, “Down on the field. They’re playing some baseball!” Sure enough, they were. Erin’s a catcher and I got a picture of her crouching in her wedding dress.

Later, Leon and Erin were playing catch, but I missed that shot.

Leon came back and ordered a cheeseburger. He got a beer and sat down to eat. He told me they come here a lot but he’s never tasted the burgers, so he was going to enjoy this! I asked why he never had one before and he said, “Because they cost $9.00!”

But, before he could take a bite, Cathy came and dragged him away for more pictures! He did eventually come back and ate his food.

The wedding cake was right next to our table. So, when it was time to cut the cake, everybody flocked around to take pictures. But the wedding photographer asked everybody to step back so they could get the shots. Which meant I had a completely unobstructed view for mine, LOL!

We stayed until about 6:30 p.m. and then made our goodbyes. We talked all the way back, mostly about Puerto Rico.

We got to my house about 8:00 p.m. I could barely get out of the car. My leg had locked up on the long ride home. But, I walked it off.

Before he left, he checked out my bike and Vicky’s cupboard door project. He approved of both.

Once he left, I changed into my shorts and tee. I processed the pictures (I took 54 in all) and picked out the ones I wanted for the blog. Then I went to bed.


  1. Sounds like a lot of fun! Cool wedding idea, too.

  2. Sounds like a good time was had by all.......sorry Jake!

  3. p.s. You never came to visit me in Lansing......thanks (too late Now)

  4. @ Jake: It sounded weird when I first heard about it, but they pulled it off.
    @ GPF: That trip to and from Lansing was a killer. I barely visit you in Mt. Clemens, much less Lansing! Too far!!!

  5. Sounds like a great time at the wedding and you had time to catch up with your friend on the long ride! Now take it easy this week!

  6. @ GPF: What are you apologizing to Jake for? Just curious...