Thursday, July 2, 2015

Groundhog Day?

It was cloudy and cool when I went to work on Tuesday.

I was having trouble with my wireless mouse, so I went and got another one. When Vicky came up for a cup of coffee, I casually asked her if they needed to be cleaned every now and then or something. She said it was probably just the drivers, and fixed it for me. It took a while, since it would work on some browsers, but not others. But, she finally got it working.

Sidebar: Monday’s brownout wreaked havoc on my poor computer and my productivity!

Then, at 11:50 a.m. (just when I was deciding where to go for lunch) the power went out!!! Again???

I quickly unplugged my CPU and then said, “Screw it! I’m going to lunch.” So, I did.

I ended up going to the Big Boy on Six Mile. Instead of my usual veal parmesan (I decided I wasn’t that hungry and that is a lot of food), I ordered the fish and chips. It did not even come close to Time Out’s dish. The breading was way too thick and way too crunchy. I ended up taking most of the breading off and just eating the fish. It left a mess on my plate, but solved my problem.

Back at work, everyone was still sitting in the dark. It turned out this time a semi hit a pole on Plymouth Road at Wayne. DTE said they estimated some of the building would be back up by 1:30 p.m. and the rest would be down until at least 6:30 p.m.

So, everybody sat around talking and sweating (it had gotten hotter and the humidity was going up as well). And, you try going to the bathroom in complete darkness!

Finally, at 2:00 p.m., my boss sent the four of us home.

I changed clothes and then set up a sanding station. Now that they have dried, I wanted to see if the older doors could be sanded smooth.

I realized that if I did the backs (which I have been ignoring so far). I’d lose my numbering system (each had a number written on masking tape on the back). So, I used a Sharpie to write the number and the measurement on the rack.

I got the doors almost smooth, but not perfect. Looks like I’ll have to do at least one more round of spot stripping.

By the time I got them all done, blown off and put back in the rack, it was 6:30 p.m.! So, I blew off my clothes, pulled the truck back inside and buttoned everything up for the night.

My friend B___ called and we chatted for a while. It felt good to be sitting down after standing up for four hours.

I was tired, so I just ate a couple more pieces of pizza for dinner. Then I watched TV until an early bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment