Monday, June 15, 2015

Soggy Sunday

It rained overnight (I heard the thunder) and was raining when I woke up at 6:30 a.m. I grabbed a cup of coffee and filled in the Blog.

When I was done, I toasted the last bagel (there are more, but they are too hard to cut!) spread it thick with cream cheese, made another cup of coffee and ate breakfast watching the news.

I stopped at 10:00 a.m. and took a call from my friend, B___. We caught each other up (this time I had more to say, because of PR). Somewhere in the middle of our conversation, the signal dropped and he disappeared. I tried to call him back, but fat-fingered it and called Jake instead. When I realized it wasn’t B___, I apologized and hung up. I finished talking with B___ and, after we hung up (officially), I called Jake back. We chatted for a while.

When we hung up it was after 11:30 a.m., so I shaved, showered and got dressed.

Sidebar: It was still raining, but there was no wind. So, I opened several windows to let the house air out. Caley enjoyed sitting on the window sills and looking out through the screens.

I took out two frozen chicken breasts. I figured I’d make chicken Parmesan for dinner with a side of spaghetti. But, when I checked the fridge, I didn’t have any provolone. So, I hopped in the truck and drove to that little grocery store on Joy and Beech Daly.

When I got back, I left the truck outside, figuring I would get some work done on the cabinet doors.

But, I had some Sunday chores to do first. I stripped the bed and washed the bedding. I wound the clock and watered the indoor snake plant. Then I went on the porch and watered the hanging plants. I threw the stale bagels outside, breaking them up, for the birds and squirrels.

Sidebar: I didn’t need to water the kitchen window box. It had been raining off and on since I dumped the rain gauge early this morning.

I swept the kitchen floor (I had tracked in dirt and “stuff” in after Saturday’s planting session).

The weather radio went off, warning of flood danger. There was a severe thunderstorm, with possible hail, headed my way! So, I gave up on any cabinet door work and pulled the truck back into the safety of the garage.

The rain hit and this time I had to close the windows. It came down in buckets, and there was thunder, but I didn’t see any hail.

I went to make dinner and found the damn chicken was still frozen! So, I warmed up some of the Manwich and ate that with a pickle and some chips (again). I put the chicken in the fridge on a plate to continue thawing.

I used my bird watching binoculars to check the rain gauge before it got too dark to see and I had almost two inches of rain since this morning!!!

I decided I’d nailed it for this weekend and started watching “The Hobbit, an Unexpected Journey” I had taped. The movie is almost three hours long. It got over about 10:30 p.m. and I just went to bed.


  1. I have a great thawing meat tip for you. You can take the chicken breast (while in the store packaging) and put them in a ziploc bag. Place the chicken breast in a sink filled with cold water. Turn on the faucet and allow the cool water to drip down slowly into the sink with the chicken. Making sure the chicken is submerged in the water with a heavy weight like a soup can. Your chicken will thaw in about 30 minutes. You can do the same trick with steaks, fish and shellfish and it works great! I do it all the time. Have fun!

  2. Thanks for the tip! Good to know.

  3. Chicken parm does sound good!

  4. I had to wait until Monday night, but it was!