Monday, May 11, 2015

Sunday Morning, Coming Down...

I woke up early on Sunday, Mother’s Day. So, I killed some time online until the news came on. I watched that, then Joel Osteen and then the news again. I quit after checking out Dylan Dryer’s butt.

I shaved, showered and got dressed. Then I headed out. I went to Westborn and got some cheese (a chunk of Pinconning mild and a tub of fresh-grated Parmesan), hearts of Romaine lettuce and six ears of Florida bi-colored sweet corn. Oh, and an impulse buy of some big, thick-sliced mushrooms.

Then I went to Kroger’s and restocked. I bought a lot of stuff I was out of, but I also bought some grilling items (You probably already guessed I planned on grilling when I mentioned sweet corn). I bought a beautiful Angus NY strip steak and some Johnsonville brats.

I was back home by 11:30 a.m. Which kinda sucked, as the post office doesn’t open until noon.

So, I put everything away and then did the Sunday morning chores (refill the pill box, wind the clock, water the plant, etc.) Then I headed back out to the Post Office.

Back home, I took out the steak and the brats to come up to room temp and put the corn in a stock pot, covered with water. It was supposed to rain after 3:00 p.m. so I had a tight time frame for any grilling.

I went out front to check out the gardens. The tulips had opened.

I was disappointed in the lilac. There were only two blooms this year. I guess it was a hard winter.

I attached the wisteria to the lattice with some Velcro strips.

Then I went and started the charcoal in the charcoal lighter. When they were hot, I dumped them out. Then, when the grill was hot, I cleaned the grate and oiled it. I did the brats first, then the corn and, finally the steak.

It started sprinkling when I was finishing the steak. I thought about tenting the grill with foil, but trusted to God and luck. This time it worked! I let the steak rest while I fried up the mushrooms.

I ate half the steak and half the mushrooms with two ears of sweetcorn. It was delicious!

I returned a call from my friend, B___ and we chatted fr a while. I took a nice nap. When I woke up, I went out in the garage and got two more hinges and one cabinet latch off another door. Only one and a half door left to go!

Back inside, it was already after 8:00 p.m. So, I quit for the night.


  1. I'm glad you went grocery shopping. I've been concerned about your food intake. You little liverwurst scamp :)

  2. @ Jake: It was!
    @ Carla: LOL! That's me: a liverwurst sandwich scamp!!!

  3. GreatPapaFishMay 11, 2015 at 9:55 PM

    Only two, but beautiful......what is the name of the Lilac? is it off white or pink?

  4. It's been so long I don't remember the name (I bought it when I first moved here). It starts out as a deep pink, but lightens up when in full bloom.