Saturday, May 30, 2015

Finally Friday (and finally five o'clock)

I woke up early on Friday (this is getting old, fast!) It was a nice morning, though. I stopped at Kroger’s on the way to work and got a little floral arrangement for Michelle’s birthday.

So, we all left for Buddy’s at 11:30 a.m. Today is Ben’s last day, along with Michelle’s birthday. She’s coming to Ben’s farewell party, so we all signed a birthday card for her.

I put the flowers on her plate to save her a spot. She showed up late (but she had to come from Novi, where she now works). But, she finally showed up. She loved the flowers and the card.

We finally got our orders in and then, much later, got our food. I went with my usual, the antipasto salad and a cup of chicken tortilla soup.

Michelle got yet another surprise! Her daughter, Ashley, drove all the way down from Waterford (or wherever the hell they live) to present her with a bouquet of flowers!

Sidebar: Her new job seems to have toughened her up. She didn’t break down and cry once. Definitely not the woman I knew…

Did I mention the party was to say farewell to Ben? I did remember to shake his hand and told him, “Don’t come back.” Hey, he always sat in my chair when I went to the john or lunch or something so he could talk with Courtney, so I continually had to kick him out. Good riddance!!!

When we left the restaurant, it was raining! That was a surprise because I’d left the windows down a tad because of the heat! My side was wet, but not Vicky’s (she rode there and back with me).

We got back to work after 1:15 p.m.

The afternoon passed as slowly as only a Friday before your vacation could.

I stopped at Home Depot on the way home (it’s supposed to rain Saturday). They didn’t have the red patio block I wanted (dammit – these used to be everywhere!) but I did get two bags of garden soil, one bag of potting soil (my magic mix), three Italian oregano plants and one dill plant (they didn’t have any fennel). I also got a new box of Miracle-Gro fertilizer.

I got home just after 5:30 p.m., treated the cat and changed into shorts and a tee.

Tonight's project is to reclaim the herb garden next to the reflecting pool. If you remember, I had oregano, fennel and chives there, year after year. But this year, I noticed the ground cover I planted around the pool (I think it’s vinca) had finally reached the chives. They are the farthest from the house. Then I noticed that the vinca had effectively choked out the oregano and fennel!

So, first thing I did was to dig out six inches of the soil from the chives back about four feet. That went into the wheelbarrow and onto the compost heap.

Then I made my soil mixture in the wheelbarrow (again, the ratio is one part potting soil to two parts garden soil) and filled in the hole. I got two pieces of scrap metal from a shop guy at work, so I planted them as edging between the herbs and the ground cover.

I topped the metal with a gray patio block that I had. Since it’s not the right color, I put it at ground level.

Then I planted the herbs. I watered the hell out of the garden. Finally, I topped the dirt and the patio block with mulch. I put the turtle back right on top the mulched block (so I’d remember where it was) and called it good.

I put everything away, locked the shed and went inside. I washed up and saw it was 7:50 p.m.

I warmed up the last three ribs, the last of the mac & cheese and the last of the beans and ate a hearty dinner.

I watched the movie “The Third Man” on TMC. It’s a 1949 British mystery-film noir, starring Joseph Cotten, Alida Valli, Orson Welles, and Trevor Howard.

It ended at 10:00 p.m. and I went to bed.


  1. I hope you guys have a wonderful vacation! Keep on sunning! :)

  2. Nice job on the reclamation. Do you have a before?

  3. No, unfortunately I only remembered to get the camera mid-project.