Thursday, April 2, 2015


Note: I apologize for how late this post is, but Jake was working from home today and hogging the computer!!!

I woke up on Wednesday at 5:00 a.m. Which totally ticked me off. Why? Because, today was a travel day. But, I couldn’t get any early flights, so my plane didn’t leave from Detroit until 1:50 p.m.

So, I watched the morning news. I double and triple-checked all my preparations (cat food, water, litter, etc.) I shaved and showered and finished packing my suitcase.

I made some soft-boiled eggs for breakfast.

I had everything ready and the truck loaded by 10:00 a.m., but it was still too early to leave. It was annoying as I figured I’d wasted the entire morning. I ended up watching Rachel Ray on TV, just to pass the time.

I left at 11:00 a.m. for the airport and found another problem. Since apparently everybody but me had early flights, parking was almost non-existent. They had workers with flashlights and golf carts directing people to the few remaining spots.

My spot was far, far away from the terminal. So, the long walk made me glad I was early!

I got my tickets with no problem and proceeded to the security check. Problem number two was that I was used to the new procedures the last time I flew. But they have tightened security (again) and so I had to take off my shoes (and I wore my new tied walking shoes instead of slip-ons), belt, empty my pockets, etc.

I got frisked (of course) and made it to my gate. Then I waited for another two hours, reading a book. I thought about getting some lunch, but decided I really wasn’t hungry.

Finally we boarded and this time I had a window seat. The plane we were supposed to ride on was delayed, so we had a bigger plane. That meant it was only about half-full, which was nice.

The weather on the flight to Charlotte was so clear, I could see the ground throughout the entire flight! I was fascinated and thrilled when the Blue Ridge mountains came in sight.

I got to Charlotte at 3:39 p.m. and then we taxied and finally deplaned. The trouble was my connecting flight started boarding at 3:45 p.m. at the other end of the damn airport! So, I ran (well, as much as I can “run”).

When I got there, nobody was there, except a guy at the desk. I caught my breath and asked him if the flight for Columbia had left and he said, “No, we’re waiting for one more passenger.” I said, “Here I am!”

Sidebar: I got a lot of dirty looks walking down the aisle to my seat!

The short flight went okay and I walked down to see Jake’s smiling face. We greeted each other and then rescued my suitcase.

On the drive back home (now in rush hour traffic), Vicky called to see if I made it okay (I told her I was in the car on the way home) and to ask a question about vacation policy (that I couldn’t answer).

Sidebar: There’s your shout-out, chica!

We finally made it home, where Whiskey and Carla enthusiastically welcomed me.

I changed clothes and we relaxed a bit.

We had Popeye’s chicken (either spicy or mild – your choice), mashed potatoes and gravy (what? No red beans and rice?) and biscuits for dinner.

We sat in the living room and talked until around 9:00 p.m., when we all decided we were tired and it was time for bed.

I tried to read in bed for a while, but my eyes grew heavy and I gave it up around 9:30 p.m.


  1. Thanks for finally posting the blog. We were worried you were dead.

  2. Not as worried as I was...................
    Have a great time!

  3. You both seem way more interested in me dying than I feel comfortable with. It's morbid!!!

    P.S. GPF: Thanks! Happy Easter to you and your family!