Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Back to the Grind

I slept through the alarm on Tuesday morning for 45 minutes. I guess I got used to a little more sleep than just five hours while on vacation. So, I had to finish and post the blog later than usual.

It was overcast and gloomy, with a predicted high of only 49 degrees. I took out the half-filled trashcan (The only things in it were the refilled used cat litter bags).

Vicky forgot to take her workout clothes and couldn’t go to the gym at lunch. So, she hitched a ride with me to the Newburgh Grille. Since it was Tuesday, I had the bean and ham soup and a gyro (I couldn’t get a good one in SC, so I’d been craving them, LOL!)

Vicky, on the other hand, ordered a Greek salad and then proceeded to deconstruct it! “Um, yeah, I’ll have a Greek salad. But, no beets. And no olives or peppers. Oh, and no onions… And with some chicken on top.”

I couldn’t help it. I said, “That’s not a Greek salad!” Both the waitress and Vicky laughed.

Sidebar: It would have been faster to just ask for a bed of lettuce and feta cheese, with chicken on top and some Greek salad dressing. I’m just sayin’…

When we came out of the restaurant, it smelled like rain.

The afternoon crawled by. Sure enough, around 4:00 p.m., it started to rain.

So, when I got home, I retrieved the trashcan and a week’s-worth of mail in the rain. I was going to refill the feeders, but with this rain, nobody will be venturing out anyway. So, I skipped that.

Caley had barfed on the bed (my bad, I think – I gave her a lot of treats when I got home.) So, I washed the top blanket and all the towels.

I had thawed out some ground chuck and two chicken breasts. So, for tonight’s dinner, I fried some sliced onions and then fried a ground chuck “steak.” I put the onions on top and some A1 sauce on the side. Yum!

Then I made a marinade I saw on the web. It was specifically designed for grilling chicken, but I didn’t see why it wouldn’t work for frying.

It was one cup of brown sugar, one cup of vegetable oil, 1/2 cup of soy sauce and 1/2 cup of plain white vinegar. I whisked that together, put the chicken in it and covered the bowl with tin foil. I set that in the fridge for tomorrow.

I cleaned up the kitchen, put the blanket back on the bed, hung up all the towels and went in to watch some TV. It was almost 8:00 p.m. and time for NCIS.

But, when I laid down, I realized just how tired I was. So, I let the DVD record my shows. I turned off the light and went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment