Monday, March 23, 2015

Sorry! I thought I posted this yesterday!!!

Saturday’s Story

I woke up at 5:00 a.m. on Saturday. Try as I might, I could not fall back asleep. So, I gave up and got up.

I dawdled (hey, I had time). But I didn’t eat breakfast. I planned on visiting Leda’s Coney Island after my chores.

So, first on my list was the barber for my week-delayed haircut. We talked about my eye (of course). The swelling is gone and the purple has faded to brown, so it’s not that spectacular anymore. The only really telling thing is my actual eye is still severely bloodshot.

Sidebar: I look like one of those fighting chickens. Way back in the day (when I was like seven or eight years old), there was a little, decrepit farm down the road. About once a month in the summer, they would stick out signs saying “Somebody or another Family Reunion” and cars would fill up the front of the place.

Well, kids being kids, a neighbor, Ronnie, and I snuck back through the woods and into their back yard. We found row after row of individual chicken pens, which held the weirdest chickens I had ever seen. They were all roosters with amazing spurs and the reddest eyes I’d ever seen. It wasn’t until years later that I realized they were having illegal cock fights.

Secondary sidebar: The place was eventually sold and the chickens were gone. The people who bought it had a daughter, Sandy, who was the first girl I ever kissed. She was older, we were in a hayloft and she not only kissed me, she French kissed me! I couldn’t sleep for months afterwards!!!

As a dyed-in-wool Catholic, I was sure I’d sinned, but I was too young to know why…

Anyway, I digress…

Next I went to Kroger and spent just under $150.00. Most of it was necessary and planned, but I admit, some of it was impulse buying (I was hungry).

From there, I went to Leda’s. But, not only all the booths (where I sit) but also all the long counter seats (It’s an old style dinner) were filled!

So, I turned around and left.

Sidebar: I doubt he does that these days, but my son, Jeremy, used to always sit at the counter. He told me once it had something to do with Jack Kerouac's “On the Road.” I never read it, so I didn’t get it.

So, I went north on Middlebelt to Steve’s Family Dining. It’s a Polish restaurant my friend Michelle M. turned me onto years ago. I never ate breakfast there before, but it was good.

From there I went home. I left the truck outside to unload it. While I was walking on the right side, I noticed the hostas were coming up.

So, after I treated the cat and put everything away, I went outside in search of Spring. NONE of the bulbs I planted last fall were up, but I found the old daffodils ready to bloom.

The hyacinths are coming out.

And the crocus on Jake’s patio are almost ready!!!

Since I was out there anyway, I refilled the squirrel feeder and the suet cage.

I got the receiver lock and my new receiver cover and installed that, as well.

I can inside and took a long nap.

I woke up after dark. So, I pulled the truck back inside (it never did feel warm enough to work out there, BTW). I warmed up more goulash (after thinning it with water) for my dinner.

Then I read in the living room until bedtime.


  1. Now, you are only one day behind. We lose our minds if we don't know how your day went!

  2. Hey, me too! I was filling it in with text and photos all day long. I have no idea why I never posted it!!! I'm getting old, I guess...