Sunday, March 29, 2015

Saturday’s Story

I actually was there for my massage appointment at 9:00 a.m. for a change, LOL! It’s been a long time. I had to cancel from that virus infection and then cancel the rescheduled appointment because of my eye.

Margaret looked awful and I told her so! She said she’d been working too hard on projects. I met her father and we chatted a bit. He’s just recovering from an artificial knee implant, so we swapped stories.

I got my massage. We set up my next appointment, I paid the lady and then I put on my shoes (I leave them at the door). I surprised myself by hugging her. She surprised me by hugging me back. I told her, “Get some rest. You look like shit!” She laughed and said, “Thank you for being so brutally honest.”

From there I went to the Credit Union (withdrawal) and my bank (deposit). Next came Home Depot. I got what I wanted and was leaving when I realized the hot dog lady was open. So, my Saturday breakfast was two hot dogs with yellow mustard and raw onions. Delicious!!!

Next I went to Famous Footware. I have been getting cramps in my thighs when I walk on the concrete and it finally dawned on me my shoes (which I’ve worn for over two years) were probably worn out and not giving me the proper support.

So, I bought some Rockport walkers. We’ll see if this helps…

I got home and unloaded my treasures after treating the cat. I entered the receipts in my spreadsheet check register. I realized I had two checks to write and mail (the doctor and the water bill). I filled them out when I realized I was out of stamps. Dammit!

So, I drove to the Post Office and got some.

Back home again (treating the cat again) it was after 2:00 p.m. I took care of a few things. I sent Margaret a photo of my last year’s front clemantis. She’s building an arbor in her back yard (and redoing her gardens and putting aluminum siding on her garage – no wonder the lady looks tired!) Anyway, she was wondering what climbing plant to put next to it. Now, B___ has grapes growing on his big one, I know people who really like wisteria, but my clemantis comes through year after year. So, I had told her I’d send a picture of what it looks like.

I sent Vicky the name of the salvage store in Detroit that Margaret gave me. I was there once, but forgot where it was. They rescue stuff from the houses in Detroit before they are being torn down and resell them CHEAP. The only downside is that it’s huge and there’s usually only one guy at the counter, so you’re on your own.

Then I decided it was time for a weekend nap. So, I took one.

When I woke up, it was almost 4:00 p.m. It was sunny out and looked great, so I thought I’d spend some time picking up the trash out back. I decided “before and after” photos might be appropriate. So, I grabbed the camera, the shed key and some suet and headed out back.

I refilled the feeders. I was struck by the vast amount of peanut shells under the squirrel feeder. So, I took some photos.

Then I documented my trash blight that I posted yesterday.

By the time I walked the entire backyard, I was freezing! It was sunny, but only 35 degrees!

I went into the shed and got out the leaf rake (I’d planned on cleaning out the front gardens as well). I was pleased to see that everything was the same as when I last saw it some four or five months ago. No water intrusion, no rodents, nothing! That is one tight shed!!!

When I came out of the shed, I saw my neighbor, Rick, in his back yard with the puggles. So, I went over and we had a chat. I asked him to give me a quote to repair the back wall of the garage. I know exactly what to do, but am not sure I can physically do it. I told him up my upcoming travel plans and he agreed to watch the house.

I set the rake on the gate and went back inside to warm up. I processed my photos and posted the trash ones.

I never did get back outside. I sat on the bed with a cup of coffee and started watching DIY shows.

So, time passed, it got dark and I got hungry.

Now, I had used half of a box of beef stock for my pot roast. Opened stock does not last long in the fridge. So, I decided to use it.

I fine-diced half of a yellow onion and sautéed it in olive oil. When they were translucent, I added about a tablespoon of butter. When it melted, I added 1 1/2 tablespoons of AP flour. I continually whisked that for a couple of minutes. Then I slowly streamed in the beef broth. After I was sure there were no lumps, I let that boil for a bit and then simmer until it thickened. I added in salt, pepper and thyme.

I put two slices of sourdough bread on a dinner plate and then topped it with roast beef slices. I microwaved that for a minute to warm it up (the roast beef came straight from the fridge).

By then the gravy was ready, so I topped my open faced sandwich with a lot of gravy.

Sidebar: No pictures, it was a hot mess!

It was excellent!!!

I watched shows on the DVD for the rest of the night. It was getting quite full (again). I have to cull the programs I record, I suppose…


  1. I always gave Skeeter (my pet squirrel) and her fellow squirrelleans shelled peanuts, because I never wanted the shells piling up on my porches. I’m curious, though: Do those shells break down quickly for you, or do you have clean them up or till them into the soil?

  2. No, they don't break down until I run them over with the lawn tractor several times. But, I do think this is the most I ever had out there, so we'll see...

  3. Dinner sounds delicious, hot mess or not.

  4. @ Jake: Oh, it was! I was so damn tired of pot roast that this was a delicious alternative.