Thursday, March 26, 2015

Hump Day

I woke up with the alarm at 5:00 a.m. on Wednesday. I filled in the Blog quick and then got started on my crock pot adventure. I had a 3.5 pound boneless bottom round roast I picked up on Saturday and I needed to use it or lose it!

So, I had a recipe, but I played with it a bit. It called for two carrots, rough chopped and a large onion, rough chopped as well. To that I added a large parsnip, peeled and rough chopped (I love parsnips). I also added three small cloves of garlic that were not called for.

Those went into the round slow cooker. Next I heavily salted and peppered the roast. It had about a half-inch fat cap on one side I debated about cutting off. In the end, I left it (hey: Fat = flavor, right?) I put the fat cap on top.

I whisked up a mixture of two cups of beef broth, one tablespoon of Dijon mustard, one tablespoon of brown sugar, one tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce and one cup of dry red wine.

I poured that all over the roast and, when I left for work, I turned it on low. I should have used the oval slow cooker (the round one was pretty full), so I put the round one on a half sheet pan in case of spills.

Sidebar: This recipe calls for turning the roast every three hours. But, I won’t be home, so I’m trusting to God and luck.

I left for work later than usual, but on purpose. We had an early round of freezing rain around 6:00 a.m. that changed into just rain. So, I left as late as possible to still get there before 8:00 a.m. I don’t mind rain (we actually need some) but I don’t like driving on ice!

It rained off and on until mid-morning.  It was supposed to get warm (mid-50’s) and it did. But it stayed damp and overcast with a stiff wind.

I went to Time Out for lunch and got two hot dogs and onion rings for lunch.

The sun finally came out after 3:00 p.m., but the wind never quit. So, my plan to work in the garage just blew away. Plus, the damp chill was playing hell with my arthritis. I had trouble walking all afternoon.

When I got home after work, I was met with the beautiful smell of my dinner! I immediately turned the slow cooker to “warm” (it was supposed to cook for about six hours on “low” but mine had been in there 10 hours!

I watched the news until 7:00 p.m. and then went out to make my dinner. I was going to make mashed potatoes, but I was too hungry. So, I just put the roast on a cutting board (with great difficulty) and cut off the remaining fat cap. Then I cut it into slices. I plated two of those and then used a slotted spoon to fish out some onions, carrots and parsnips.

It was delicious!

Sidebar: It needed more salt. But, I think that was my bad. Next time (and there will be a next time) I will salt and pepper the roast and let it sit for a couple of hours. I just washed it all off with my liquid.

I put the rest of the roast, onions, carrots and parsnips in my big Tupperware bowl and topped it with some of the au jus. The rest went down the garbage disposal and the slow cooker insert was left soaking. When the Tupperware bowl cooled, it went into the fridge.

I watched a so-so movie and went to bed at 10:30 p.m.


  1. You were right to leave on the fat cap and it looks delicious! Haven't had a pot roast in a long time.

  2. It was good, but I wish I hadn't followed the "award winning" recipe exactly. The brown sugar added a great flavor to the meat, but made all that beautiful au jus too damn sweet to make gravy.