Friday, February 20, 2015


I slept like a rock Wednesday night and woke up early on Thursday morning. So, I got up, turned off the alarm, then wrote the Blog entry and posted it. Then I went back to bed to watch the news. My nose was stuffy and I figured it was from the furnace. So, I turned the humidifier up. It was cold (-5 degrees – we broke the record) so, I pulled the covers back over me.

I woke up at 7:45 a.m.! WTF? I sent a text to my boss and said I’d be late. She sent back a message saying they would call off the search party.

Sidebar: You think I’m kidding. But the last time I didn’t show up, there was a terrific uproar. Just because I’m old (I guess) they all think I’m dead. Back in the day, if I didn’t show up for a week at work at the factory, they said, “That’s just John.”

So, I hauled ass and got to work about a half hour late (I did remember to take in a container of the tomato salad and another of the spaghetti and meatballs for Vicky). It wasn’t until Courtney said, “Good morning!” and I answered back that I realized my voice was messed up!


Sidebar: Vicky came into work yesterday with a wicked cold and sore throat. I didn’t pay it much mind (I never get sick unless I’m around a sick Jake).

But, when I got back from lunch on Wednesday, she was sitting in my chair, talking to Courtney.  Didn’t give it any thought.

Sidebar: Did she lick my keyboard or what???

Nice! I give her food, she gives me a cold! Be that as it may, I was sick and got sicker as the day progressed.

I went to Ten Yen for lunch and got my usual. What was unusual was that I had to get another pot of the oolong tea (it seemed to sooth my throat). Damn clever, those Chinese! It was 10 degrees then, BTW.

The afternoon passed slowly. I wasn’t really blowing my nose a lot, just coughing and sneezing. My face hurt from my sinuses and my throat hurt like hell. Just before I went home, my boss said, “If you’re still feeling this bad tomorrow, why don’t you just stay home?” I knew what she meant: please don’t come in and get the rest of us sick. So, I said, “Don’t worry, I will!”

I came home and changed into my bathrobe. I turned on the news, got under the covers and stayed there. I did get up to warm up a bowl of spaghetti, but I only managed to eat a few bites. It hurt to swallow.

I made sure the water was still dripping downstairs. We are supposed to break another record of – 8 degrees tonight. Then I went to bed.


  1. Sorry you're not feeling good dad! Feel better. Get under those covers and sweat it out...after you take a shot of something! Old school remedies at your service.

  2. I like the way you think! I'll rock it old-school!