Wednesday, December 31, 2014


I woke up to the alarm on Tuesday morning. I know, I know! I’m officially on vacation. But, we have a new (position) Vice-president of IT (he started last week). And I thought I should just pop in and reconcile the corporate Visa statement before year end.

Sidebar: It’s all about the impression, you see.

However, when I got there, there was a TON of stuff to catch up on. So, I got started...

There was also some problem at our Building 73 (either no power or no network connectivity). With this being the year end, and the accounts payable folks located in B73, my boss had volunteered our office for three people to come and work. I asked who they were and when she got to Joyce, I said she can sit at Courtney’s desk, LOL!

So, one of the techs set up three computers and then they showed up. But then another showed up. And then another! The estrogen level in the room completely wrecked the normal male vibe.

But I enjoyed sitting next to Joyce… Been a long time since we worked together.

Vicky asked me if I was going to lunch (she forgot hers at home). I said, sorry, I’d be gone by then. But, when noon came, I still had not even gotten to the credit card reconciliation. So, I asked her to come along and we went to the Newburgh Grille. She had a Greek salad with chicken on it and I asked for the meatloaf, with mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans and a cup of the bean and ham soup – I was hungry!

Sidebar: She said she had never tasted meat loaf. I offered her some, but she declined. She said it sounded awful. Puerto Ricans!

I finished up after 2:00 p.m., wished everyone a Happy New Year and went home.

I changed clothes and then got started on the drawer front.

Now, there was a problem with the drawer front. Without going into great detail, the one side stuck out 3/8-inch!

I had thought about it off and on all during my Christmas vacation and even discussed possible solutions with Jake. My final decision was to mark the 3/8-inch on the one side and sand the back of the drawer face to it.

But, back at home, I realized that would tilt the hinge face (probably not a good thing) and make the drawer handle screws too long (definitely not a good thing).

So, I set my Skil saw depth for a 3/8 cut and ran it along the one end for about an inch. 

Then I got the palm sander and curved the edge into more of a transition.

Note: This will be more obviously a “fix” and I will have to live with it as long as this desk exists. But, hell, I can say I fncked up and not be ashamed, right?


Help me out, here!

I came inside after blowing the sawdust off myself. It was almost 7:00 p.m. Now, normally, it would be, “Who cares?”

But, I was supposed to be at the Lucky Strike bowling alley at 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. for a birthday event for both Vicky and myself (joint December birthdays). I know Vicky was bringing my honorary granddaughter, Yanessa and I think Courtney planned on bringing her son Aiden. And, my boss was supposed to be there as well.

On the other hand, I was tired, dirty and disgruntled. So, should I clean up, drive all the way to Farmington and greet the few people (if any) left who hadn’t already gone home? I can’t bowl, so at best I could just buy a round and then leave. Seemed dumb.

So, I stayed home. Sorry, Michelle! I seriously was going to go, but I have to get this damn computer desk done and delivered.

I re-stained the back of the drawer face and put it in the office to dry. Of course, it stunk up the house.

I warmed up a can of Hormel chili for dinner. I put it in a bowl and topped it with shredded sharp cheddar cheese. It was delicious at that point, but the gas it inspired during the night took the edge off my enjoyment.

There was nothing great on TV, so I tried to catch up on taped TV shows. But, I fell asleep around 10:00 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment