Sunday, December 21, 2014


I did wake up with the alarm at 3:00 a.m. I took the project out to the garage and rubbed it smooth with steel wool. I blew it off and rubbed it clean with a damp towel. Then I read for an hour until I figured it was dry. I opened the bathroom window, shut the downstairs door and turned on the vent fan again and gave it a second coat of poly.

By then it was after 5:00 a.m., so I didn’t bother going back to sleep. I got a cup of coffee and read until the news came on.

I finally got ready to go get my massage. But, after I got dressed and was putting my smart phone in my pocket, I saw I had a text. It was from Margaret. She said her father (who lives with her) was in the hospital with the flu and she thinks she’s coming down with it as well! Yikes! I called her back and told her to feel better, have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and we would reschedule in January.

Sidebar: That meant I have missed two massages this month, and I can tell. But I appreciate her letting me know. I am concerned my flu shot might not protect me this year (at least that’s what they said on the news).

So, I had an hour to kill before my haircut. I stopped at the corner gas station, got my Cope and wished my little friend a Merry Christmas. She has a killer smile!

Next, I went to Home Depot for some things and then Kroger’s for some other things (I had these stops originally scheduled after my hair cut on my ToDo list). It was a few moments before 10:30 a.m., but I went to the barbershop anyway. I got my haircut and then headed home. I stopped and filled up the truck at the Sunoco at Five Mile and Inkster and paid $2.09 a gallon for regular!

Then I stopped at Subway and bought a foot-long Italian BMT, topped with lettuce, tomatoes, red onions, banana peppers and black olives, then splashed with Italian dressing. It’s my favorite Subway sandwich and I don’t want to be bothered with making food today. I got sh*t to do!

So, I got home and did some cleanup work on the computer. Then I took half of my sandwich, warmed it up for 45 seconds and ate that watching a DIY show.

I went out in the garage with the second project and rubbed it all over with steel wool again. I wiped it off with a damp rag and brought it in to dry.

Sidebar: I made an interesting discovery. I have a three-inch round magnet mounted on a long handle (for searching for and picking up misc. screws and nails in the garage after projects, to avoid flat tires). On a whim, I ran it over my project. It snagged a ridiculous amount of tiny steel wool pieces! I wish I’d tried that on the computer desk. I am sure there is a ton of it in the nooks and crannies. Oh, well. Live and learn! That’s my motto!

Please note: In the interest of journalism honesty, I just lied. My motto is actually, “It don’t mean nothing!” If you are too old or too young, you probably won’t get that, but if you understand that, you know what I mean…

Besides, if you know me well, you would know I never “Live and learn.” I repeat the same stupid mistakes over and over again. Sigh…

But at least I’m still single! I nailed that!!!

Anyway, with an early morning wake-up call, a full tummy and a drying project, it seemed like a perfect time to take a nap. So, I did.

The first thing I did when I woke up was to dig out my electric candles. I had forgotten then until my barber Michelle and I were talking about Christmas decorations. I had taken out the batteries (so they wouldn’t corrode) and I refilled the three-candle one with three D-Cell batteries and set it in the middle of the picture window.

It’s got a sensor and only comes on when it’s dark. It’s not dark yet, but it’s getting there… (I love that Dylan song). When it was dark, I realized the birdhouse bench totally hid it from the street. Oh, well, at least I can enjoy it!

The other two single candles required C-Cell batteries, which I didn’t have, so they will have to wait.

Speaking of Christmas decorations, these are mine this year:

The little tree on top the fireplace
My stackable crib set
Sleigh on top the ice box
Candles in the picture window
Left side of front door

Right side of front door
The front door mat
My wreath (made it from a bicycle wheel back on Palms Road)

Sled on the south side of the garage door.

My great-nephew Jesse sent me a text, with a photo of me, him and his long-time girlfriend Jessica. I replied, thanking him and asking him to email it, along with the photo of my nephew Rick and me. I still have trouble getting photos off my phone and onto the computer. Damn technology! So, they sent them and I posted them. It was a cool visit and I miss them already. God willing and the creek don’t rise, going fishing in the Gulf next summer!!!

Anyway, back to the computer table. I installed the rails for the keyboard drawer. I was a bit confused as the right side rail has a lip that captures the wheel of the pull out rail, but the left side does not. Not sure if that matters (it did when the left side rail kept falling out) but I’m trusting to God and luck, now.

I got my measurement and cut the keyboard platform to fit. I stained the cut edge and let it dry.

I moved back to the second project and put the last coat of poly on it.

B then it was after 8:00 p.m. and I was hungry again. So, I ate the rest of my Subway sandwich. I wished I’d bought chips or something. The first time I was starving and just wolfed it down. Now, some chips (or something) would have been great. So, I added a McClure’s pickle, but it wasn’t enough.

I watched some TV, but then went to bed.