Saturday, December 13, 2014

Finally Friday!

I heard the alarm at 5:30 a.m. on Friday morning. I shut it off and thought I’d just close my eyes and take another moment to rest.

You can guess the rest…

So, the Blog entry and photos didn’t get posted, the kitty litter box didn’t get cleaned and I got to work 10 minutes late.

I went to Time Out and got a bowl of broccoli and cheese soup and a fish sandwich for lunch. Then I went and got the truck washed.

Oh, I picked up another commission at work. One of the techs said he had a 50 gallon fish tank built into a wall, but he took the wall down during a remodeling project. He said he heard I do woodworking and wondered if I could build him a stand for it. He said he wanted it to be made of 4 x 4's and 2 x 2's (Jake would be so happy!) I told him to draw up a sketch with measurements and I’d make it for him, as long as he doesn’t need it before Christmas. He said there was no rush and he would stain it himself. Hurray! Finally, naked furniture!!!

The afternoon was as long as a Friday afternoon can get, but eventually it was 5:00 p.m. and I was headed home.

I stopped at Home Depot first and got two pairs of nitrile gloves (I still can’t find the ones I bought to wash the soot-damaged ceilings).

I treated Caley, changed clothes and watched the news for a bit. BTW, the whole house smelled of stain! No wonder my nose is plugged up!!!

Please note: The weather prediction of no precipitation until Tuesday (that inspired me to wash the truck) has now changed to possible drizzle on Sunday. Dammit!!!

I went out to the garage and cut the keyboard shelf to the correct depth. I will wait until the rails are actually installed to cut it to width. I don’t want to screw it up as it’s the last piece of wide board I have left.

I also cut the drawer face out of the new 1 x 4. I made an executive decision and only glued and tacked on the flat molding. Adding the cove molding would make the look perfect, but might be annoying when folded down onto your lap.

Now all that’s left for the drawer is to determine “exactly” how much I have to cut off the top of the drawer face so that you can pick it up and tip it down without interference. Remember the original drawer face that had a slight split in it? I am going to use that to experiment with and, when I have it exactly right, transfer the measurement to the real drawer face.

Back inside, I got out a one-inch putty knife and the colored wood putty and painstakingly went over the whole computer table, filling in all the nail holes and any imperfections.

I quit just before 8:00 p.m. I made a sandwich with the smoked turkey I had thawed out and added to the plate some Better Made salt and vinegar chips and a McClure’s pickle.

I joined the Red Wings game in progress. We lost (again) in overtime (again). I turned off the TV and went to bed.


  1. Speaking of weight, how much does that desk weigh you keep flipping around? Maybe you need an apprentice.

  2. No worries. Its all 3/4-inch (no 2 x 4s) so its light, just awkward. My back hurts from all the bending over, but not from lifting it.