Sunday, December 14, 2014


Note: we are not supposed to have sequential dates like this again for 89 more years! I can’t wait!!!

I woke up at the usual time on Saturday (too bad I couldn’t have done that on Friday, LOL!) I got a cup of coffee and filled in the Blog post.

When I went out to get another cup, I saw a fire truck with the lights flashing, parked just across the street. I had heard no sirens, there were no hoses run out or anything and nobody was around. Weird. I stripped the bed and started the first load of laundry. The fire truck was gone when I next looked out.

The morning news got over at 9:00 a.m., so I shaved showered and got dressed.  Then I left for the rather extensive errand run.

I stopped at the corner gas station and chatted with my little friend. Then I went to CVS and struggled with their photo machines. It took two tries on two different computers, but I finally got it to work.

Sidebar: It’s not me. They have signs posted that you can no longer make 8x10 photos or greeting cards. The counter lady told me it’s all screwed up and the CVS techs can’t figure it out…

But, I finally ended up with 30 different photos of the Triumph restoration (both here and down in South Carolina). I want to send them to Leon in his Christmas card, so he can see the progress made to date. I think he’ll be interested.

Next I went to Michael’s to look for a cheap frame, but couldn’t find one I liked. Then came Home Depot for more staining cloths. Westborn was next on the list for avocadoes (yuck), cilantro (yuck) and some grated parmesan cheese.

I took a break and went to Leda’s and got the corned beef hash with two over-easy eggs on top (the waitresses have seen me struggle to slide the eggs on top the hash in the past, so now they just tell the cook to put them on top to start. I love the broken egg yolk sauce mixed with the hash!) Rye toast and copious cups of coffee completed an excellent brunch.

I went to Kroger’s, then up to Six Mile Road and GFS and finally another gas station to fill up the tank (it’s five cents cheaper a gallon there than at my corner gas station).

I got home about a quarter to one. I put the sheets in the dryer and started the second load of weekend wash. I went out back and refilled the bird feeder, squirrel feeder and the suet cage. Back inside, I changed into my work clothes after taking a quick break.

I got a call from a friend who said she’d met me when I was older in a bike shop. From her description of the guy, it did sound a LOT like me! I had to smile… Thanks for the call.

Next on the list was to re-stain certain portions of the desk that were too light. I saw them last night while I was filling in the nail holes. While I was at it, I stained the drawer front and the keyboard tray (still not yet cut to correct width). The drawer front didn’t want to take the stain (I don’t know why) so, I may have to sand it and re-stain it again. Damn!

Note: Once again, I had the kitchen vent fan on, the bathroom window cracked and the downstairs door shut (there’s a cat door for Caley if you remember). The smell is bad, but I only actually really fear the polyurethane yet to come as far as explosions go…

It was after 4:00 p.m. at that point, so I walked away from the desk and got back on a project I started earlier. I pulled the truck way back in the driveway and set up the sawhorses to do some sanding.

The wind was perfect, coming from the northwest. That meant I could set the sawhorses on the garage apron, just out of the wind. It was warm enough with just a jacket (42 degrees) and any sawdust that hung in the air got whisked away by the passing wind I couldn’t feel!

I worked for about an hour and went through three sheets of 60 grit sand paper. But when the last sheet had shredded, I found I had no more 60 grit paper left! Dammit! I looked everywhere, but nada!

At this point, fine sandpaper will just not cut it, so I gave it up. I put the sawhorses back inside, blew off all the sawdust and pulled the truck back inside.

I got out the thawed meatloaf and cut it up into three pieces. I went out to the garage again and (unconsciously) pulled out my tee-shirt and loaded it up with some Yukon Gold potatoes.

Sidebar: Who still does that? It was the normal method of getting veggies or picking berries back when I was a kid on the farm…

I quartered the potatoes and boiled them. When fork tender, I drained them, added some butter, whole milk and a raw egg and mashed them. I heated up the meatloaf and a ramekin of frozen sweet corn and ate a delicious home-cooked dinner!

I watched the Red Wings play the Maple Leafs again. This time they creamed us 4-1. Dammit! I turned off the TV and went to bed.


  1. Maybe it was a mime fire company.

    With Walgreens (and I suspect CVS but never checked), one can upload the pictures direct to their site and then just pick them up from the photo wizards when you arrive.

  2. Ah, I hadn't thought about mimes!

    Good to know, but I think the computers at my CVS are just old.