Friday, October 17, 2014

Thursday’s Tale

It was sprinkling when I drove into work on Thursday. Normally, no big deal. But, if you remember, I had cardboard boxes loaded with discarded motorcycle parts in the back bed. So, I was a little nervous.

But it never really rained, so the boxes weren’t falling apart by the time I got to work. I got the gate key and a cart and took the boxes out back. The pure metal pieces went into the scrap bin and the rest, along with the boxes themselves, went into the trash dumpster. I locked the gate, returned the cart and was still early for work!

I went to Time Out for lunch and got a pleasant surprise! One of my favorite waitresses was back! She had left over a year ago, has a full time job and I get the impression she’s just helping Dan out (he’s been having trouble keeping waitresses).

I was walking to my table when she saw me through the kitchen door. So, she ran out and greeted me quite enthusiastically.

A little while later my boss and Courtney (my new partner in crime) came in and sat at the table across from me.  Dan, the owner, sat down at my table and we chatted for a bit. He asked if Spacely Sprockets was hiring and my boss answered. He asked if they knew me and, when they answered yes, asked why they didn’t sit with me.

Of course, that started the whole “John doesn’t want to eat lunch with anybody from work” thing.

And, as I was leaving, I stopped at their table to say “see you at work.” My waitress was walking by and gave me another big hug, saying how good it was to see me again. I thought I would get teased back at work about that, but (thankfully) I wasn’t.

I had a cheeseburger and a bowl of beef stew, BTW. The beef stew was excellent and I really should have stopped there.

I walked outside both morning and afternoon. It was overcast but dry for a change.

When I got home, treated the cat, changed clothes and watched the news. I had to wait until 5:45 p.m. for the full seven day forecast. The weekend looks cold and rainy (big surprise) so I thought I better cut at least the front lawn tonight.

I blew all the leaves in the driveway onto my lawn. Then I fired up the push mower and cut the grass. Most of the leaves were mulched up. I kept the mower discharge pointed towards the middle of the lawn and then went over them twice.

It looked nice and I kinda wish I’d had time to do it before my visitors showed up last weekend.

It was getting dark by the time I finished so I wasn’t that surprised when I came it and found it was 7:40 p.m.

I was bushed and didn’t feel like dinner, so I munched on Triscuits and hunter sausage from the Flat Rock butcher.

I didn’t feel like TV, either, so I read until bedtime.


  1. Sounds like a busy day! What are you going to do with all that room in the garage?

  2. You were very busy. All work and no play makes John a happy boy! :)

  3. @ Jake: Probably start some new project to mess it all up!
    @ Carla: Maybe not that happy, but it keeps me out of trouble!