Monday, October 6, 2014

The Sunday Story

I woke up at 6:00 a.m. on Sunday, so I slept in! Lovely! I filled in the rather extensive Blog entry with a cup of coffee.

Then I stripped the bed and started the second load of weekend wash. I sprayed the naked mattress with Fabreeze, as I always do. I think the fresh smell helps to lure me to sleep.

Sidebar: Sleep is so elusive these days that I will try anything!

I had another cup of coffee watching the morning news. Then I moved on to the routine Sunday morning chores: refilling the pill box, winding my grandmother’s clock, watering the indoor plant, etc.

Speaking of which, can anyone identify this plant? I know my Mom had one. I “think” it’s called a snake plant, but I really don’t know.

I made a hearty breakfast of three scrambled eggs with chives and sourdough toast. Then I started up the dishwasher to clean up the last few days messes.

The sun finally came out and I determined I should jump on that fact. So, I got in the truck and headed for Home Depot. I bought two bags of Scott’s weed and feed fertilizer (one big and one small – my lawn is too big for their big bag and too small for two of them).

Sidebar: I normally do a lot of research to find a cheaper brand with the same ingredients (and they are out there), but I messed up. Fall is upon us here in Southeast Michigan and I have to get it done now, or else!)

I also stopped in at Meijer’s for some deli potato salad. I was going to make it myself, but I didn’t think I would have the time.

Back home, I unloaded the truck and changed into my work clothes (I was wearing my “go to town” clothes in case I met any hot chicks). Then I went out to the shed and got the fertilizer spreader.

I started in the front lawn. The guy from across the street who saw the monster cat and parks near my mailbox came over and we chatted for a while. It seems he’s moving out of the townhouses and into a rental home. He wanted to know about lawn fertilizer, so I told him the little I know.

Sidebar: That’s one of the downsides of living by the townhouses. I constantly make friends but then they move on. Good for them, bad for me.

Now, spreading the fertilizer proved to be difficult as the wind was really strong. So, I’m pretty sure I didn’t get the coverage I usually do. But the fertilizer lasted until after the play structure out back and that was good enough.

Back inside, I started dinner as it was going to take a long time.

I‘m making my Bourbon Baby Back Ribs, but this time in the oven only. I am also making two racks, one for me and one for Vicky’s family. I have to make up for the red beans and rice!

So, I got out the large tinfoil and made four pouches. I took the ribs and removed the thin membrane from the back of each. Then I cut them in half. I put the four halves into the pouches and poured on my braising liquid, equal parts of apple juice and bourbon (don’t worry, the alcohol cooks off).

Next I seasoned them with salt, pepper, Montreal Steak Seasoning and four cloves of garlic, minced fine. I sealed up the pouches (they were on half sheet trays, BTW) and stuck them in a preheated 225 degree F. oven. I set the timer for 3 1/2 hours (low and slow, baby!)

I changed into my t-shirt and shorts and started the last load of laundry. Then I got back to cleaning. 

I had the Tiger’s game on in the background and listened to them lose the playoffs. Come on, Red Wings!!!

When the oven timer went off, I mixed up my sauce: a whole bottle of Sweet Baby Ray’s original BBQ sauce and a half cup of bourbon. I opened the pouches and brushed on some sauce.

Sidebar: I would normally do the next part on my smoker grill. But, its cold outside, I’d have to dig it out of the shed, I have no wood chips for smoke and several recipes swear this can be done inside.

I turned the oven up to 350 degrees. I put the ribs back in and set the timer for 10 minutes. When the time went off, I took the ribs out and brushed them again. They went back in for another 10 minutes. I did this four times.

By then the sauce was supposed to be caramelized, but I didn’t think it was good enough. So, I gave up on this method. I brushed them again (using up the last of the BBQ sauce) and stuck one tray under the broiler. I watched it like a hawk so it didn’t burn. I pulled it out when I thought it was done and stuck in the next tray, repeating the process. Yeah, that looked better!

I platted three ribs and some store-bought potato salad and feasted!

Okay, so it’s been a long while since I made them, and I think they tasted better when I smoked them. But these were damn good!

I left the rest of the ribs out to cool. I noticed that one pouch on each tray had leaked, so there will have to be some heavy-duty scrubbing with a Brillo pad, but not tonight! Tonight I just added water and let them soak.

It was late and I was tired of cleaning. So, the rest can wait as well.

I went in and watched a new episode of Bob’s Burgers. Then I switched to Anthony Bourdain’s CNN show, “Parts Unknown.” This new episode was about the Bronx.

Like most of his shows, I now want to go there and eat!!!

I switched to reading for a short while, but then went to bed. It had been a long day…


  1. Sounds like a long day but dinner sounds great and well deserved!

  2. Sansevieria trifasciata

  3. and yes, John, Mother always had the snake plant.

  4. @ Jake: Thanks, It was a long day and dinner was great!
    @ GPF: I thought that was the common name for it, but just wasn't sure.