Friday, September 19, 2014

Then it was Thursday…

Thursday wasn’t as pretty as the previous last two days. The temps were about the same, but it was cloudy and overcast. There was still no rain predicted until Saturday night, though.

I went to Lowe’s again after eating an excellent lemon-pepper pork chop with a side of potato salad at Time Out. But, instead of mulch, this time I bought bulbs (crocus, tulip and daffodil) along with, I admit, a bulb auger that goes into a drill. I didn’t feel like digging all those holes!

Before I left for home, Courtney gave me another jar of their homemade salsa. She and Mike had canned their second batch last weekend. She wanted me to give it a try as she made it a little hotter than the first.

After work, I treated the cat, changed clothes and took a phone call from a dear friend. We talked about her medical problems and suggested treatment.

Then I went outside. My goal was to cut down all the dead or dying tiger lilies between my garden and my neighbor’s lawn.

At first, I tried using the push mower. Despite it clogging up every two feet, me stopping the motor and cleaning out the discharge chute, I got about two-thirds of the width of it cut using that method.

Sidebar: My neighbor had a black hose hooked to his sump pump discharge that keep the area soggy. You can see it in the “After” photos.

The rest of it I had to cut with the line trimmer. I raked the mess out into the lawn. I’ll wait a couple of days for it to dry up and then cut it all again. I’ll cut up the mess on the lawn with the push mower over the weekend and leave any remains for the lawn cutters.


After (1)

After (2)

I was done just after 7:00 p.m.

I came in after locking everything up. I changed into shorts and a tee shirt (I had grass all over my long pants, socks and other tee shirt). Then I warmed up two ears of sweet corn and two brats for dinner.

I watched the fourth episode of the Roosevelt’s on PBS (did I mention I am hooked on this series?).

I did try the salsa as a TV snack. She was right. It was a little hotter than the first. If it was store-bought, I would say their first batch would have been labeled “Mild” and this one was more “Medium.” It was very good!

I went to bed just after 11:00 p.m.


  1. Looking good Dad! Do you know what she puts in the salsa?

  2. I asked. Here's the recipe she used:

    10 cups chopped cored peeled tomatoes
    5 cups chopped seeded green bell peppers
    5 cups chopped onions
    2 1/2 cups of chopped (recipe calls for seeded, but they didn't seed theirs) chili peppers (they used pablanos and jalapeno)
    1 1/4 cups of cider vinegar
    3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
    2 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro
    1 Tbsp salt

    Combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently until slightly thickened (about 10 minutes)

    Ladle into 6 (8-oz) half pint prepared canning jars. Put on lids and rings.

    You'd have to cut the recipe down as needed if not canning, I suppose.

  3. Thank you and I will give it a try.

  4. It was pretty good! Way better than store-bought!