Monday, August 18, 2014


I woke up around 7:00 a.m. on Sunday. I had a cup of coffee while I finished the Blog entry. Then I shaved, showered and got dressed. When I left the house, it was overcast and raining.

I just barely made it on time for my 9:00 a.m. massage. From there I went to Kroger’s and bought some groceries. I had pitched all my perishables before I left for vacation.

Back home again, I put away the groceries. Then I went in the attic. I got down a short log left from trimming the black walnut years ago. I got an idea…

Then I cleaned up the cat litter. I put it in the wheelbarrow and took it out to the horseshoe pits. I got a shovel and worked it into the dirt. “Why?” you might ask. Because horseshoe pits are supposed to be clay and I do not have clay soil here (thank God).

Next, I worked up the soil in the garden. I was shocked to see my two summer squash plants had died and the cucumber plants were completely gone! WTF?

If you remember, I couldn’t find anybody who still had any seeds around here (seasonal item). But, I did check in SC and they had them in the Home Depot!

So, today I planted a row of radishes, two rows of bush beans and two rows of peas. Hopefully, I will get a fall harvest.

Walking to and from the shed, I noticed my mystery cat has been laying in the wild garden again.

BTW, the shed showed NO signs of water intrusion. So, I guess the flooding was a non-event here on San Jose.

Before I had left, I put the front porch rail planter on the patio so it could get some rain when I was gone. So, I got out my garden wagon and trucked it back up front. I emptied the rain gauge while I was out there. It had just under five inches of water in it.

The on and off drizzle finally stopped and the sun came out around 3:00 p.m.

For my Sunday supper, I made something I saw a while back on Facebook, but didn’t copy. So, I had no idea if I was doing it correctly. I just made it up as I went along.

I laid out the wedges from a tube of crescent rolls on a pizza pan. I smeared them with deli (horseradish) mustard. I put down a layer of Genoa salami, one of pepperoni and then a layer of provolone cheese. Next I put a layer of ham, one of hard salami and finally a layer of mozzarella cheese. I put the dough over it and tucked it inside the ring. I sprinkled shredded Parmesan cheese on top of that and stuck it in a preheated 375 degree oven for 12 minutes. 

I pulled it out of the oven and let it cool down a bit before I cut some wedges out of it.

Hmmm… not bad. A little greasy (well, more greasy than I expected) but very tasty.

It was late, so I called it a day and went in to watch some TV. I dozed off (no nap) for a bit. When I woke up it was almost 9:00 p.m. Faced with a choice, I decide to just let Mountain Men tape and read a book instead. I went to sleep for real at 11:30 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment