Thursday, August 7, 2014

On the Road Again...

So, I had set the alarm for 4:00 a.m. on Wednesday. Why? Because I was leaving for South Carolina to visit Jake, Carla and Whiskey. But, first I had a LOT of stuff to do. I shaved, showered and got dressed. Then I set up the cat's automatic feed and watering stations and filled up three kitty litter trays. I checked that off the list.

Next, I packed my suitcase, which I would have done the night before, but I was busy making macaroni & cheese for a pot luck I couldn't attend. G figure.

Speaking of which, I took the mac & cheese out of the aluminum pan, cut it into chucks, cut the top off, arranged the chunks into the slow cooker (after adding a little milk and heavy cream to the bottom) and then arranged the crunchy top back, well, on top. I filled in the seams with more shredded sharp cheddar. I tuned the slow cooker on "Low" to heat up while I worked.

Sidebar: This is the only way I have come up with to server mac & cheese a day after to you make. It tastes great, but you should try it when it first come out of the oven. It's so much better!

I loaded up the truck in the garage (security concerns), set the timers on the lights and the radio, put the mac & cheese in the truck and pulled the truck outside.

Inside again, I disconnected the garage door opener, gave everything one last check, petted Caley and gave her a treat, then left though the front door, locking it behind me. I left for work at 7:00 a.m.

I dropped off the mac & cheese, along with a serving spoon (a lot of people forget to bring a serving spoon to a potluck). I set it on my desk, plugged it in and turned it to "warm" and left for the airport.

I had to go by three separate accidents on Middle Belt, one of which had the whole road shut down with cops and flares (at Ecorse) only to finally remember the road that goes "right" into the airport is Merriman, NOT Middle Belt. Oh, well...

So, I got the truck parked, got through security with the usual pat down and got to my gate with plenty of time to spare. I got a really mediocre breakfast sandwich that I paid too much for for my breakfast.

Finally we boarded. The flight to Charlotte was okay, with just a little turbulence that interrupted the beverage service. But, it ended and I got a ginger ale.

Charlotte was hot, even in the airport! It was even hotter on the tarmac, boarding the second, smaller plane. Even the plane was hot inside! And it stayed uncomfortably warm throughout the next short flight.

Carla was there to pick up my sweaty, sorry *ss. It was 97 degrees  F. when we walked outside to the car.

We finally got to the house and Whiskey greeted me profusely.

I unpacked enough to get my shorts and tee shirt and changed clothes.

Jake arrived home from work and since we were all a little wiped out, we have some food delivered. My onion rings were excellent, but the Philly cheese steak left a lot to be desired. Yet another thing not to order in South Carolina, I guess.

We watched "The Dallas Buyer's Club," which was very intense and moving. I was supposed to watch it the last time I was here, but ran out of time.

By the time it was over, I was done. We chatted for a little bit on the patio.

Sidebar: For all those who have heard the story that the heat's not that bad here in the morning and at night, it must be very much later in the night, LOL!

I went to bed and read for a little, then fell fast asleep. It had been a long day.


  1. Hello Jake and Carla.....have fun with the OLD man

  2. Hi Uncle Carl, I hope you are doing well. We love you and tell everyone we said hello!

  3. Yes Carla...doing better. I came home this evening, and ready to learn to walk all over again (for the 4th or 5th time!
    Thanks for your concern!!