Sunday, August 31, 2014

Labor Day Weekend – Day One

I woke up on Saturday at 6:30 a.m. I had a cup of coffee, and English muffin and my morning pills while watching the news. Then I filled in the Blog entry.

I finally shaved, showered, got dressed and left for my 10:00 a.m. doctor’s appointment. My doctor had moved since I last saw her, so I had to find her new office in Clinton Township.

I got there 15 minutes early, but that was okay. I had a LOT of forms to fill out, as a new patient.

Sidebar: Does anybody really remember when you had your first knee replacement, who the doctor was and what the hospital’s name was? Add to that a gallbladder emergency operation, the prostate cancer radiation seed implantation, the other knee replacement and the spinal fusion.

I just made sh*t up.

I was very, VERY impressed with my doc’s new digs and their latest technology! They did all of the blood work with a fingertip pin-pick, rather than trying to access my rolling veins.

The EKG she wanted was accomplished without leads to my ankles or shaving the hair on my chest, and all the blood work was done in house, in minutes. They also offered a free flu shot, so I opted for that.

By the time my doctor came in she had all the results. Once again, I passed with flying colors! For example, my total cholesterol was 145, with the HDL at 66 and the LDL at 62. Blood pressure was 119/72. She also said my EKG was textbook perfect!

I got out of there just before noon. Since I was close, I stopped by my friend B___’s house for a quick visit. We chatted for a bit and he asked if I would like to stay for dinner. But, in just the short time I was there, the weather had gone from sunny, hot and humid to windy with ominous clouds. So, I declined and drove home before the storm hit (I hate to drive in the rain).

By the time I got there, the clouds had thinned and the sun came back out! Damn! I missed a free dinner!?!

I treated Caley, changed clothes and took a late afternoon nap. That was a mistake, BTW.

When I woke up, it was getting late. So, I hustled. I waxed and buffed the challenge coin stand and then set it up.

I think it turned out pretty damn cool.

I noticed another branch had come down in the wind, so I went out and dealt with it.

My neighbor waved to me, so I walked over to the fence and we chatted for a while. I complimented him on his new woodshed. He had put down a concrete pad and a real roof, instead of the garish tarp on top of temporary rafters.

He asked about the garden and I told him I only have gotten green beans and peas this year, so far. I said the skunk was eating my tomatoes, again.

He said they had a lot of butternut squash and he would leave some on the fence for me. His wife walked over and joined in the conversation. Rick went into the house and Tammy and I had a chance to talk about her cancer treatments. She’s looking thin, but says she’s doing fine. I am always impressed with survivors!

Back inside, I warmed up the last of the onion sausage spaghetti for a late dinner.

I sat on the couch and started reading a new book. After a few hours, I moved to my recliner. Much later, I moved to the bed. It was almost 4:00 a.m. when I finished the book and finally went to sleep. I should have never taken a nap that late in the day, I suppose.

Which is why this post is so late. But, hell, it’s the holiday weekend, right?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the positive test results! Maybe that will get some people to lay off the theory that you're always dead.