Sunday, July 6, 2014

Saturday, in the park, I think it was the fifth of July...

I woke up at 6:30 a.m. on Saturday. It was chilly in the house again and only 54 degrees outside. But, it’s supposed to get up to 81 degrees today. I slowly got ready to go fishing. Before I left, I hooked up the hose to the drip hose in the vegetable garden and turned it on. It’s not supposed to rain here at least until Tuesday. I found some catnip and brought it in to a grateful Caley. I left the house about 9:00 a.m.

I was going to just get on Hines Drive and go to Newburgh Lake, but the entrance on Inkster was closed (like they do when it rains) so I took Warren over to Merriman and tried again. It was closed, too. The only thing I could figure is there were fireworks or something. It sure wasn’t flooded.

So, I drove back to Plymouth road and took that to Newburgh. Both entrances to Hines Drive (east and west) were open there. The fishing dock was now in, so I walked out on it, greeting my fellow anglers as I passed. I checked out their rigs and they were all using worms and bobbers.

Bah! I was going with lures. After about an hour later, I wondered two things: Where can I buy one of those folding canvas chairs like Jake and Carla have (my legs were killing me) and where the hell are these people buying their worms?

Also, I wondered why all the damn ducks and Canada geese were congregating near the dam. I tried to count them (I like my reports to you to be spot on) but got confused after 60 some. So, I took a couple of pictures. They were far away, so I hope you can see them if you click on the picture to enlarge.

As far as fishing goes, please note: I saw several sun fish caught, but none that were big enough to be legal. Where the hell are the big mouth bass the DNR says live here? Do I need a kayak to reach them?

I moved from the floating fish dock to shore fishing (mostly so I could sit down, LOL!) But I still got nothing, so I finally gave up.

Sidebar: I wonder if I dare use the “Lake Orion Solution” and go with hotdogs?

On the way home, I stopped at the 24-hour grocery and bought some English muffins. I ate my last one this morning and apparently had forgotten to put them on the Kroger grocery list. So, I had to pay full price for Bay’s, instead of the cheaper Kroger brand.

I was home just after 11:00 a.m. I turned off the water to the vegetable garden’s drip hose and reeled in the hose. I threw the last four or five dinner rolls out for the birds or squirrels (they had mold on them, but since they were deli-fresh, no surprise there).

I walked by the wild garden on the west side and found that the spot that “something” had laid in (and I fixed back up) was smashed down again. I checked for sign, but the ground’s covered there. So, I decided to rake off the pine needles and such, so I can get a clean track and possibly identify my midnight rambler.

I had discovered an unintended consequence to my plantings in the kitchen window box.  The two vines I planted on each end grew like weeds. And, when it’s windy, they whip around and set off the patio light’s motion detector. So, I had planned on replacing them with the asparagus ferns (like I planted in the porch rail planter). But they were all out of asparagus ferns at Home Depot on Friday. So, I settled for two Coleus. I like coleus. I had a whole garden of them planted under a tree in heavy shade back in St. Clair.

But, when I went to put them in, I realized there wasn’t room on the north side. So, I used the newly-emptied pot (from the house) and put one out front.

I moved the one vine to the north side of the planter and put the other coleus on the south side. I trimmed the vines to one foot.

I noticed the hostas I had separated and stuck in the tree garden was taking nicely. It looked healthy as hell and pairs with the day lily behind it perfectly.

Back inside, I decided it was time for a horizontal reboot, so I rebooted.

When I woke up, I went outside and set up my sanding station. I sanded down the wood filler but discovered two places where the nail heads showed through. So, I got the nail set and put the nails in deeper. Of course I had to put more wood filler in the hole. But before I did that, I sanded it all down with medium-grit sandpaper.

Do you remember me telling you that some guy walked down the sidewalk on Plymouth Road playing a saxophone? Well, he’s been doing it every Saturday since. I assumed that it was a student going to music class, but I used my camera today and got a couple shots of him. I think he’s too old and plays too good to be a student. I now think he’s a musician on his way to a weekly gig. Whatever his reason, it’s cool to get live music walking by! Ah, city life…

Somebody threw away the small pallet the techs at work used to hold open the heavy steel outside door. That makes carrying in or out equipment much harder, so I told them I’d made a door stop for it. When the door is opened, it’s about three inches off the blacktop. So, I used a 2x12 scrap I had and cut three 30-degree wedges five inches high. I screwed them together, cut the ends flush and sanded the wedge smooth. I’ll take it in on Monday and see if it works.

I blew off the sawdust from my clothes and quit for the night. Back inside, it was 7:30 p.m. I put my shorts and tee shirt in the laundry basket and hopped into the shower.

I warmed up a plate of kielbasa, sauerkraut and potatoes. I couldn’t find anything interesting on TV, so I watched two episodes of Sherlock on Netflix. Then I went to bed. The damn fools were still shooting off fireworks (I thought you guys used them all up on Friday?) but I finally fell asleep anyway.


  1. Looks like a beautiful morning. I don't remember catching anything in those Hines Park lakes except maybe weeds. Maybe Belleville Lake?

  2. re: "where the hell are these people buying their worms?" why don't you ask one of the fishermen???

    Flowers and hosta all look great!!

  3. @ Jake: Hmmm... Maybe. I should google neaby lakes i suppose.
    @ GPF: Thanks!