Saturday, July 19, 2014

Friday, Finally!

It was still cool on Friday morning. But it rapidly heated up and by the time it was over, it was back in the 80’s (where it should be). I called my brother Carl when I got to work and we chatted long enough to get caught up before 8:00 a.m.

When I walked outside in the morning, it was still cool.

I went to Time Out for lunch and skipped the specials. I got one of my two favorites, their half-pound mushroom and Swiss burger, topped with the Dijon mustard I had supplied.

I skipped the fries and substituted a cup of German potato salad soup. Sounded weird, but tasted wonderful and actually did taste like German potato salad.

From there I went to Dick’s Sporting Goods and bought a digital game trail camera. I thought about it last night and Jake mentioned it in a text today. It’s probably the easiest way to find out who or what is sleeping in the wild garden (I’m pretty sure it’s a raccoon or a leprechaun).

The afternoon walk was much hotter.

Finally it was 5:00 p.m. and I was headed home, with a weekend looming large.

First task after treating Caley and changing clothes was to set up the camera. I installed the four “C” cell batteries and the Sandisk (neither were included, BTW). Then I had to set the date, time and numbering sequence, all for correct picture identification. I chose stills over video, BTW. But, if I do get something interesting, I may leave the camera in place and switch to video.

Next came camera settings, etc. All in all, it was over an hour before I was ready to take it outside. I selected what I figured was the best tree on the east side of the garden and strapped it on.

Then, while it was in test mode (it has a 40-foot detection range and a 50-foot infrared flash), I walked in front of it to check the width of the detection cone at the other edge of the garden. Perfect! So, I turned it on and went inside.

It was already late, so I just fixed another sloppy joe for dinner, with only a couple McClure’s pickles for my side dish.

I watched one taped TV show and then called my buddy B___. It’s been a while since we chatted, so it took a while to catch up. When we finally had and then hung up, I went to bed.

1 comment: