Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Memorial Day

I woke up at 7:00 a.m. again (I could get used to this!). I had a cup of coffee and an English muffin while I filled in the Blog. I stripped the bed and started the last load of weekend laundry.

Then I shaved, showered and went out to meet the day. First trip was in the truck, out to Hines Park and Newburgh lake for some fishing. This was not only a fishing trip (it is Memorial Day after all and since I can’t welcome the summer by fishing at Waconda anymore, I did the next best thing) but also a “trial” run.

On the advice of a veteran biker, I am pre-checking my route for pot holes. I also had my new boots on to help break them in.

Even at that early hour, Hines Park was crowded. People were walking, jogging, setting up picnic sites and there was a ton of bicycle riders.

I got there after an enjoyable ride and discovered they didn’t have the floating fishing dock in the lake yet! WTF? And, the concrete pad it attaches to was crowded. So, I followed a flock of Canada geese down a gravel put-in spot and tried my luck.

There was a young girl sitting on a picnic bench next to the water (you can see her in the photo). I would have loved that spot, but she got there first.

I didn’t catch anything except seaweed, but I spent an enjoyable hour or so there. Then it hit me! I should have brought some hot dogs. That always worked at Lake Orion!

Finally, I was interrupted by a guy who wanted to launch his kayak. We chatted for a bit (I am interested in kayaks) and then he was joined by a much older (but damn strong) woman with her long gray hair in a braided pony tail, carrying a canoe on her shoulders.  I decided the spot was getting a bit crowded and so I packed up and went home.

When I got there, I treated Caley, put away my fishing gear and then got my motorcycle key, my leather jacket and my helmet.

Note to Jake: I found that the ear flaps on the half helmet that bothered me so much are detachable. So, I unzipped them and the helmet is fine. Still might buy one of those canvas ones, though.

I disconnected the battery tender and got the bike off the center stand. I checked the site gauge for the engine oil (okay) and fired it up.

I went up and down San Jose, again waving at neighbors I didn’t know and then (biting the bullet) pulled it out onto Plymouth Road. I didn’t go far, just pulled into the old Farmer Jack parking lot. It was more or less empty (a few cars at CVS) so I practiced shifting (these boots are better, but still seem clunky), stopping (this time using the rear brake first), turning (using the turn signals instead of my hand gestures) and tight turns using the painted parking lines. I did okay (hell, I didn’t drop the big thumper) and finally decided I was sweating WAY too much. So, I headed home.

Pulling out onto Plymouth Road was a challenge (WAY too many cars and trucks) but I made it. I got into the turn lane (using my turn signals) and eventually got a break to turn onto San Jose. I pulled into the garage, put the bike up on the center stand, stripped off my overheated leather jacket and helmet and re-connected the battery tender.

It was just 1:00 p.m. So, I filled in the Blog to date and decided to take a nap. First (of course) I had to remake the bed.

Then I remembered I had to water the new grass seed out front. So, I did. I noticed another yellow iris next to the porch had flowered. Then I saw the purple iris I had transplanted to my English garden was in bloom (the plants I divided next to the porch are NOT blooming, BTW). Finally, I saw the old (since I’ve moved here) iris under my bedroom window had also bloomed. So, I took some pictures and watered the porch rail planter and the daisy planter as well.

I decided I needed to make the pasta for my next pasta salad before my nap. So, I fired up my pasta pot. I didn’t have any tri-colored rotini left, so, I went with a half box of farfalle (bow-tie) pasta and a half box of tri-colored penne pasta. I cooked that until al dente, drained it and rinsed it with cold water.

Then I went out back. If it’s not gonna rain, I got problems. So, I watered the kitchen window box and then the raised bed herb garden. Next, I hooked the hose up to the soaker hose and watered the raised bed veggie garden. I set the kitchen timer for three hours.

THEN I took my nap…

When I woke up, I went out and disconnected the garden hose and reeled it in.

I went back inside and started chopping veggies up for the pasta salad. I did toast more of the pine nuts and added them in as well. I mixed it all together and had a test bowl. It was pretty good!

I watched the last of the news and then some taped shows. I had another bowl of pasta salad for my dinner later on and went to bed just before 11:00 p.m.


  1. Looks like you had a very productive Memorial Day weekend! Glad you hear you got out to enjoy it fishing and motorcycling and not just crip napping.

  2. Is there something wrong with "crip napping"?????

    You and Delilah should practice together. She has a small bike with training wheels too!

  3. @ jake: Yeah, what you got against crip napping, anyway?

    @ GPF: Bring her over!