Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Back to Work (to rest)

It was 71 degrees F. when I woke up on Tuesday. It was supposed to be hot and muggy today, with rain in the afternoon. I had an English muffin, a cup of coffee and then got ready for work.

I walked outside in the morning and it was sticky (air you could wear).

At lunch, I went to Newburgh Grill and got a patty melt and a cup of beef vegetable soup. Then I went to Lowe’s on the elusive hunt for flat leaf parsley. I struck out! Just curly parsley, dammit! But I did get another small table for the patio and two new perennials: a purple Picotee Dianthus and a yellow coreopsis. These are to replace two perennials that didn’t make it this year.

I walked outside in the afternoon and it was worse!

We had a quick, hard rain about 4:00 p.m., but it was long gone by the time I left work at 5:00 p.m. it did manage to screw up my carwash, though.

When I got home, I took the trashcan out to the road. Then I carried out my old patio furniture: The two Adirondack chairs, their footstools, the two tables and the two regular chairs.

I went inside, treated Caley and changed into much-needed shorts and a tee shirts. I put the table on the patio and checked the rain gauge (nary a trace). Then I went out front and planted my two new plants. I talked briefly with my neighbor Rick who was cutting his front lawn.

Yellow Coreopsis

Garden Setting
Purple Picotee Dianthus

Garden setting

I also chatted with another neighbor who was riding by on his bicycle. He asked why he never sees me out front grilling anymore. I told him I moved that to the back.  He said he missed it, because it always made him hungry.

I was back inside for the night by 6:30 p.m. and, just then, it started raining! It was a soft rain this time but it didn’t even last 15 minutes. Personally, I wish it would rain all night. Oh, this was the scene when I checked on the rain from the front room window.

I warmed up the Parmesan chicken and some of the smoked Gouda grits (this time I added the chives on top the recipe suggested - it put them over the top!). In fact, they both still tasted great!

My friend B___ called and we swapped Memorial weekend stories. I watched a couple of taped shows and went to bed around 10:00 p.m.

Morning addition: When I was complaining about the lack of rain, B___ said it had rained off and on all day. He figured they’d gotten about an inch. When I checked my rain gauge Wednesday morning, I barely had 1/4 of an inch here in Redford.

No comments:

Post a Comment