Sunday, March 2, 2014

Snowy, but Successful Saturday

I set the alarm Friday night, as I had an 8:00 a.m. appointment for my massage. So, I got up and got ready. I skipped breakfast and left. It was lightly snowing.

I got my massage and the drove like hell to my 9:00 a.m. haircut. From there, I stopped and filled up my gas tank at the BP at Merriman and Five Mile roads. I still had a half tank, but I saw on the news that gas is going up again. This station usually has the lowest gas around. I paid $3.58 per gallon for regular.

Next came Kroger’s. I didn’t get any meat (I have more than enough I need to use up in the fridge freezer) but I stocked up on other things. It was snowing again when I came out of the store. I must admit, the truck was a little crowded with a full load of groceries.

Finally, I went to Costco and got coffee and paper towels. As I left, I checked the price of gas I could get because I am a member: $3.59 per gallon! And they always have l-o-n-g lines. I smiled. I thought about tossing the big paper towel package in the truck bed, but I managed to fit them inside.

I left there and got home just after 11:30 a.m. I treated Caley and then started carrying in the groceries and putting them away.

When I was done, I changed clothes and got to work on the dishwasher. I got the water line hooked to it and then the drain. Then I took a break to eat some lunch. I ate the rest of the ham and bean soup in the fridge. I decided it was really damn good!

Now, I don’t know if I mentioned this, but the edge of the counter top  stripped off the insulation on it when I first tried to install it back in the day (before the wheels came off). I figured it was important, so I got my staple gun from the garage and stapled it to the inside of the cabinet.

After I cleaned up the dishes (stupid, really because I could have used them as test subjects), I tried fitting the dishwasher in. It stopped about one inch from home. WTF? I took it back out and checked. Now it was hitting on the electrical box (of course it was)!


So, I turned off the fuse and re-routed the electrical. This involved yet another trip to Home Depot. I came back and struggled to get inside the damn cabinet opening and change it. I ended up getting a lamp from the living room so I could see better (my eyes ain’t what they used to be).

It was after 4:00 p.m. when I got that done. Then I tried it again (and held my breath).


Of course, it wasn’t perfectly level. So, I used a pry bar and turned down the front legs until it was hitting the bullnose tile. Since I had already taken off the back wheels, that was as far as I could go. That was the best I could do, so I screwed it in place.

The installation guide said to run it on the shortest cycle, wait five minutes and then open it. I was supposed to check that there was water and it was in the bottom of the tub. So, I did that after turning the water on.

The front kick plate was still off, so I laid on the floor with a flashlight and watched intently for leaks. I didn’t see any…

Sidebar: Damn, this thing is quiet compared to the old one!

So, I moved the table out of the way and washed the kitchen floor. I went in to see what was on TV while it dried. There was nothing interesting, so I went in and filled up the Blog entry to date.

After the floor dried, I decided to put the kitchen back together. But, before I did, I wanted to clean and oil the wood table and chairs (I am afraid the lack of humidity through the winter may take its toll). So, I got out the kit Art Van gave me when I bought the set. I washed every inch of the five chairs and the table itself with the Orange Cleaner. Then, once that dried, I oiled everything with the Furniture Oil.

I put everything back and took a couple of pictures for you.

Just after that, my daughter Melissa called. She had called while I was out at Home Depot, but said I didn’t have to call back, so I didn’t. She seemed pretty bummed, as the house they had put an offer on failed the inspection. Now they are waiting to see what the counteroffer will be.

When we hung up, I started dinner. First, I started another pot of Uncle Ben’s original wild rice for my side (I love that stuff). Then I worked on the main course: Baked Garlic Parmesan Chicken.

I preheated the oven to 350 degrees F. Now, if you remember, I used half a bag of frozen chicken tenders on the less-than-successful Cheez-It chicken. So, I thawed out the other half Friday night.

Tonight, I added 2/3 cup of grated Parmesan to one cup of Italian breadcrumbs and mixed them in one flat dish. In the other, I put two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and added two cloves of minced garlic. I stirred that together as well. I dipped each chicken tender into the garlic olive oil and then into the breading. I laid each piece on a half sheet pan.

When the oven was ready, I stuck the sheet pan into it and set the timer for 30 minutes (I’ll check on them before that as the recipe I am sort of following was written for six boneless, skinless chicken breasts.

When the timer went off, I checked and they looked pretty good. So, I cut one in half (quickest way to test) and it was cooked all the way through. So, I plated it and the rice.

This time the chicken was excellent! Like the Cheez-It batch, the chicken was moist and tender, but this time you could really taste the Parmesan and garlic. If I had any complaint, it would be that it was a little under-seasoned. Next time, I’ll add salt and pepper to the breading.

When I finished eating, I rinsed my plate AND PUT IT IN THE DISHWASHER!

I went back to my Viking marathon (still nothing good on TV that I noticed) and finished the last old episode and the new one. That series is excellent!

It was just after 10:00 p.m. when it finished and I took stock of the situation:

  • It had been lightly snowing on and off all day, but now it was seriously snowing. I had at least 2 inches of new snow on the state park grill.
  • The dishwasher final install (and probably the table and chairs cleaning/oiling) completely erased any benefits from my morning massage. With all the kneeling, bending, reaching, straining and twisting, I hurt like hell everywhere. Even my left wrist I sprained a few weeks ago ached.

So, I gave up and went to bed, hoping a good night’s sleep would be a good antidote.


  1. Congratulations.....It must be August!!

    p.s. Looks good

  2. @GPF: Thanks! I wish it were August (no, come to think of it, maybe April or May) Sick of snow and cold!!!