Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Last Full Day in South Carolina

Monday was my last full day in South Carolina. Unfortunately, Carla had to work. Jake and I played a board game whose name I do not recall, but it involved trains and train routes and I got my ass kicked (yet again). Then, Jake and I ran some errands and met Carla for lunch at Sakura, a Japanese restaurant in Columbia and a favorite of mine.

Jake had the Sushi and Chicken Teriyaki while both Carla and I ordered the Udon noodles. Now, I don’t know if you have ever had Udon noodles, but they come in a fantastic broth, along with mushrooms and a whole egg. However, they also come in a cast iron pot that never really cools down. As a result, I burnt my mouth (as I always do) but it was worth it (as it always is).

Sidebar: Between the Korean restaurant and the Japanese one, I realized just how out of practice I am with chopsticks. Embarrassing!

We kicked some ideas around about dinner and, after lunch, Jake and I stopped at Whole Foods for a few items. Back home, Jake took Whiskey for a long walk and I tried to take a nap (didn't work).

When Carla got home, we chilled for a while and then I helped her to prep for dinner. The original idea (mine) was shrimp scampi. But, Carla being “Carla,” she switched it around and kicked it up a notch. So, I peeled a pound of shrimp while she minced an onion (not in my recipe). She sautéed that in butter and olive oil and then added a LOT of garlic (definitely in my recipe).

Since I forgot to mention white wine before shopping, she substituted chicken broth and then added the shrimp. Meanwhile, I boiled a pound of linguine to al dente.

Here’s where she went rogue…

Salt and pepper? Yes. Chili flakes? She has them, but… Nope, she substituted Creole seasoning!

She added a bit of the pasta water to her sauce and then combined the noodles and shrimp. She plated it and did NOT top it with Parmigiano-Reggiano (WTF?)


I was totally “noodled out” from lunch and yet I ate all of it!

We watched some TV until about 9:00 p.m. (I had another piece of sweet potato pie and cup of coffee for dessert somewhere in there) and then we all went to bed. But, before I did, I (sadly) packed my suitcase. I then read for a while and went to bed around 11:00 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment