Sunday, November 17, 2013

Come Saturday Morning…

I woke up to the alarm on Saturday morning. Why set the alarm on a day off? Because I have an 8:00 a.m. dental appointment to get those two fillings replaced.

I had brought home a laptop to check my wifi Friday night. The Roku player has not worked in a week. I had unplugged the Netgear router Thursday night and then turned it back on (hoping to reset it) but still no Roku.

But, in spite of being prepped by the tech on what to do, I couldn’t make heads or tails out of it! It showed I had six (six!) wifi signals to choose from. Since I am not sure what mine is called (I think it was strongest secured signal), Saturday morning, I disconnected the Netgear router, the cable router (after taking out the backup battery) and the Roku unit. Then I left for the dentist.

It took about an hour and a half, but I got my bad fillings replaced. Unfortunately, they had estimated my co-pay would be $275.00, so I took in $300.00 in cash. But, he had more work to do than he thought, so my co-pay was $351.00! I put it on the credit card (sigh). Also, the two teeth he fixed actually really need crowns. He said he didn’t know why my last dentist even tried to fill them (thanks again, Redford dentist!)

The office manager gave me an estimate for the crown of $1,630.50! And, it would take two visits, two weeks apart. I told them there was no way this year I have a two week window and that I’d set an appointment after the first of the year.

I left (drooling) and stopped in at the Kroger’s store on Ford Road. I needed a few things for the weekend. This store is a little different (and more than a little weird) from my Livonia Kroger’s. They have a lot less “name” brands and carry things that mine doesn’t. I suppose it all depends on location.

I got the few items on my list and made two impulse buys: Two bags of those 15-Bean soup dried beans (they don’t carry them at mine) and a bunch of radishes (they just looks so good!).

When I got out of the store, it was raining! Now, the weatherman assured me that today would be cloudy, but dry, so the plan was to do all the outside work today. It’s supposed to storm starting Saturday night through Sunday (in waves) so Sunday would be for indoor work.  

I stopped at the bank on my way back home (they have a branch at Beech-Daly and Joy Road) and deposited the cash I had in my pocket for the dentist. I don’t want that kind of cash lying around the house.

Back home, I unloaded the groceries and put them away. I changed into my working at home clothes and put all the routers and Roku back together. Then I tested it. Bingo! I got my Netflix back!!!

I had used my pine board pizza peel last night, as well as my biggest cutting board (also pine) so, I had washed both of them off (of tomato sauce, cheese, etc.), before I left for the dentist. Since they had dried, I rubbed them both with my food-grade mineral oil. Note: make sure it’s food grade! I buy mine from CVS as people also use it for babies and as a laxative. I use it for wood cutting boards.

Then I went outside. It was about 11:30 a.m. It was cloudy, but not raining. I needed the leaf rake for the front yard (to clean out the flower beds) so I went out back and got it from the shed.

Walking back to the house, I glanced at the reflecting pool. The whole area was covered with the Japanese maple leaves. So, I stopped and raked them off. Then I was focused on the reflecting pool. I drained the rest of it (well, as much as I could bail with a little bucket) and threw in some pine board cutoffs (so the freezing water will crush them rather than the tin tub) and went to get the plywood cover.

I have used the same plywood board since Jake, Carla and I put in the washtub, back in the day. I covered it with two trash bags and duct-taped them together. But (10/ 15?) years later, they are in tatters! So, I slipped on a new trash bag and duct-taped it shut. I set that on top the wash tub and weighted it down with a landscape stone. 

My neighbor was working in his backyard, raking leaves, so we both took a break and chatted for a while. His wife is feeling better. He caught a skunk in the Live Trap he put (with my permission) next to my raised bed garden. He swears that’s what was eating my tomatoes!

Back up front, I raked about half of the gardens, until I got to the roses. I got the garden shears and then I cut all the roses down to six inches. I went back inside to get the rose cones down from the attic.

I played awhile on Facebook and ate some cold pizza for my lunch. I didn’t eat any for breakfast as I didn’t want to have pizza breath at the dentist.

Then I got back to work. I had the cones ready, so I walked all the way back to the rear wall to get the flat blocks I had to put on the top of them. And, I couldn’t find them!!! WTF? What did I do with them? I obviously moved them when I moved the rose bushes, but where did I put them? I spent a ridiculous amount of time looking for them in the garage, Jake’s patio, etc., and couldn’t find them. I realized it was starting to get dark and I still hadn’t cut the leaves! I hadn’t even finished raking the front gardens (much less the rear ones).

Mentally kicking myself, I started to put things away. I shut and locked up the shed door. I made sure all my yard tools were in the garage and closed that door as well.

I watched the news for a while and then made some dinner. I warmed up some of that hot Italian sausage spaghetti (I thawed it out Friday morning). It was still too hot for my taste.

I watched the Red Wings lose another game. Then I switched to the Roku and watched three (three) episodes of Agatha Christie’s Poirit! I got a little carried away, I guess, and I ended up going to bed after 1:00 AM.

1 comment:

  1. Its elusive a dental practitioner who you wouldn't fret having an arrangement with. The workplace have dependably been charming, inviting and great at their occupation.