Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Monday Moanin’

I woke up at 3:30 a.m. on Monday and couldn’t fall back asleep! As a result, I was dragging for the entire day.

I made a concession to the Fall air by wearing a long sleeved shirt. I refuse to put on a jacket, though. Not yet, dammit!

I stopped at Kroger’s on the way home at lunchtime and got some Swiss cheese, onion rolls and some deli coleslaw. When I got home, I used some of the Swiss cheese to make a proper ham sandwich for my lunch.

After work and after drinking a cup of coffee, I got to work. I took the trash out to the road and then went out back and watered down all the grass seed and straw I had sown.

Then I came inside and started my Sunday supper, chicken piccata, a day late. I set up two breading stations, one with two eggs and some salt and the other with A/P flour.  I took two chicken breasts and cut them in half horizontally. Then I put them in cling wrap and pounded them to about 1/3 of an inch thin. I dipped them in the eggs and the flour and then fried them in olive oil and butter.

I had the heat on medium and fried them about three minutes a side (until they were golden brown). I took them out and set them on a plate.

I added more olive oil and another pat of butter. I added two tablespoons of drained capers and two minced garlic cloves and sautéed them for about 15 seconds. Then I added 1/2 cup of chicken stock, 1/4 cup of dry white wine and the juice of one lemon. I boiled the sauce about three minutes to reduce it. I added the chicken back to the skillet and simmered it on medium-low heat until the sauce thickened a little more (about 10 minutes). I transferred the chicken to a plate. I added a handful of fresh flat leaf parsley and some fresh ground pepper to the sauce, brought it up to a boil and spooned it over the chicken.

I ate that with more of the roasted beets with goat cheese. It was excellent!

Once they cooled, I put the other two cutlets in the fridge. I watched TV until 10:00 and then went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment