Sunday, August 18, 2013


I woke up at 5:30 AM on Saturday, said, “F*ck it!” I went back to sleep until 7:00 AM. Then I had to hustle and finish the grocery list, ToDo list, etc. I had peanut butter toast for breakfast. Then I shaved, showered and dressed and pulled out for an errand run about 9:30.

Sidebar: I am never quite sure about this, writing-wise. Is it correct grammatically to write “am” and “pm” or “AM” and “PM”? I always do “AM or PM” but am still not sure what is correct, as I see it both ways all the time.

Correct writing has always been challenging!

First stop was Home Depot for four more cart locking wheels and the bolts to attach them. I know, I know, both you and I thought I was done with this cart shit, but I figured I needed a rolling toolbox for the bike. Since I have an ancient, but perfectly good Craftsman’s box, all I needed was the base. I did check out the Chinese cheap ones at Harbor Freight, but $149.00 for a six-drawer cabinet for a base I’d probably never fill seemed silly. To be fair, a Craftsman’s rolling base would have run me $300+. But, better I should build another cart (and I have all the wood).

Next was the Asian market on 7 Mile Road. Da-Zhong Oriental Market is still small, but much more like a “market.” And, the proprietor spoke English, which was a plus! Turns out that “mirin” is a name brand, not an individual name for rice wine. It would be like me asking at Kroger’s where the Hunts was, wanting ketchup.

They didn’t carry that brand of cooking rice wine, but they did have several others. They also didn’t carry “white” miso, just plain miso, so I snagged both. Of course, I didn’t know the quality of the rice wine (and there were many selections) so I just bought the most expensive on the shelf: $4.00 US, lol!

From there, I went to Kroger’s to get the few items needed for this weekend and the staples, “bread and milk” (I have enough eggs). And, I’d like to brag how easy it was to shop there, versus an Asian market, but it wasn’t.

Remember me telling you a few months ago that they were undergoing construction at my Kroger’s? Well, if not, they were. The construction is done, but, every time I go in there now, everything is changed as they repurpose the aisles. I was commiserating with an older, disabled man as we both were trying to find something and he said something telling: “It’s like a scavenger hunt in here, every week now!” And, it is!

I dropped another $36.00 US there and then headed back home. I pulled into O’Reilly’s Auto Parts and bought a spray can of primer and another of primer sealer. I have a small rust spot developing right behind the front wheel well. I decided I need to address it if I keep this car much longer. Since I haven’t found another car I like so much that I am willing to work for the next six years paying for, I thought I should fix it.

Then I stopped at the quarter carwash and hosed off the car. I pretended it was for the Woodward Cruise, but really, it was just a little dirty.

Speaking of the Woodward Cruise, which my cube-mate Michelle, her husband and their new “old” truck are participating in, I realized an important fact: I am not “old,” I’m just a classic!! Damn straight!

Back home, I rubbed the car dry with my special “drying towel” after unloading the groceries, putting away the refrigerator items and, most importantly, treating the cats.

Then I filled in the Blog to date, changed into my shorts and t-shirt and attacked the ToDo list.

First chore was to cut the front grass with the push mower. Since it hasn’t rained in a while, the grass clipping were not clumping. That helped me to remember to water the container plants!

I put the mower away and then called Carla’s mother to wish her a happy birthday. I made myself a tuna fish sandwich for lunch and ate that with a pickle. I watched a DIY show while eating and, since I was on the bed already, decided to take a nap.

I woke up about an hour later and headed out into the garage. I rolled out my miter saw cart, locked the wheels and set up the sawhorses. This was my first time trying out the “cart” idea and it worked great! 

I got the all wood cut, nailed and then screwed together. I got the MDF out to cut the top and shelf, but went into the house to get a drink of water. I was shocked to see it was already 5:30! I needed to get started on dinner.

So, I went out and shut the garage door. Back inside, I cut up the remaining broccoli into small florets. I put a pan of water on to boil and filled a bowl with ice water.

While the water was heating up, I turned the oven on 425 degrees F. and then peeled about 1 1/2 pounds of good-sized shrimp. I split the zest of two lemons between two small bowls and, in one, I put about a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice, some salt and fresh ground pepper. I put the shrimp in that bowl and tossed to coat them.

Meanwhile, I blanched the broccoli for a minute and then shocked them in the ice water. I put a sheet of aluminum foil on a half sheet tray and sprayed it with cooking spray. I put the broccoli and shrimp on the tray and arranged them in a single layer. I stuck that into the oven and set the timer for eight minutes.

Meanwhile, in the other bowl, I added two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. When the timer went off, I picked the out the broccoli with my tongs, put it in the bowl and tossed that to combine. Then I plated it and ate a great dinner!

By the time I cleaned up the kitchen, it was getting late. I decided I could wait until tomorrow to finish the cart. So, I went and watched TV until bedtime.


  1. Re: AM/PM

    Re: Da-Zhong Oriental Market

    Still check out August's sometime. Very large and very interesting stuff. Get you some balut!

    Re: Dinner

    Looks great!

  2. Thanks! I'm going with the Chicago Manual Style: a.m. and p.m. I will check out August's one day and dinner WAS great!