Friday, August 23, 2013

Rain, Rain… Come Back!

It was supposed to rain today – thunderstorms, even! My lawn, gardens and I have been waiting for days. It was hot, muggy and windy, but a cold front was expected to bring showers in the afternoon.

We had a farewell luncheon for a co-worker at Ruby Tuesday. I haven’t been there in five or six years and I was reminded why!

I left the sunroof closed all afternoon, in spite of the heat, fearing the upcoming rain. It hadn’t rained by 5:00 p.m. when I left for home, windows down and gasping for air waiting for the A/C to become effective.

I had checked the weather off and on all afternoon and it looked like a large thunderstorm was moving east along, say, 8 Mile Road. So, my Brother Carl wouldn’t see rain, but my yard would. But, when I turned on the news, the storm had sagged southeast and was following I-94 (SOUTH of me). Dammit!

So, I went out and watered the new grass. Then I watered the garden against the rear of the house and the herb gardens. Finally, I hooked up the square-head sprinkler and turned the hose on in the vegetable garden. I went in the house and set the timer for an hour.

I had picked another handful of cherry tomatoes before coming in and added them to the rest of my stash. I’ve been eating them as snacks, but my stash was growing and needed to be addressed.

So, I put a pasta pot on to boil and added a big glug of olive oil in my skillet. I sautéed half a diced Vidalia onion. While the onions were softening, I diced three garlic cloves and went out to pick a big handful of basil and some oregano sprigs.

I ripped up the basil and threw that, the oregano sprigs and the garlic in. I let that get fragrant while I cut up the tomatoes. I cut the cherry tomatoes in half and the plum tomatoes in thirds. I put them in, along with a splash of red wine vinegar and let them soften.

Meanwhile, I cooked a half box of spaghetti. Somewhere during the process, the timer went off, so I went out and turned the water off. I’ll reel in the hose tomorrow.

When the tomatoes had released their juices, I took out the oregano stems. Then I ripped up a ball of mozzarella cheese and threw the chunks in. I thought the melting cheese would make a creamy sauce for the pasta. I added more salt and pepper and, when the pasta was done, threw it in along with some pasta water. I mixed the pasta into the sauce and let it suck it up (suck it up, pasta!)  I plated the dish and topped it with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Results? Well, the fresh mozzarella did make a nice, creamy sauce, at first. But, as the food cooled, the cheese hardened. So, by the time I was nearly finished, it was like eating spaghetti and string cheese! The taste was good, but the sauce was under-seasoned. Another food experiment gone wrong. This was not a banner day for me and food!!!

There was literally nothing interesting on TV, so I watched a couple taped DIY shows and went to bed at 10:00 PM.


  1. Yes, Rain skirted me as well...I have had the water on in the front garden for the last two hours, still have to do the back garden. No Choice!!

    If you find any rain, please send it my way!!

  2. I will, and you do that for me as well.

    I have two problems with watering (besides the work). One is that it raises my water bill to an alarming rate. And two is that it never seems to do as much as a simple rain. Oh, it keeps the plants alive, but they don't seem to "thrive" like they do after a rain shower.

  3. Have you thought about a second water meter...
    Mount Clemens has that option (only for outside water, and you don't pay any sewage for usage). I cost me approx $400 for the new electronic meter plus the permit and the proper (they give you a picture with all of the components necessary) plumbing. Surprisingly they allowed me to install. It's paid for itself many times over in the last 7 years!

    just a though

  4. Hmmm... I don't know if they have that around here, but I'll check. It's not hard to believe you could eventually recoup the $400 over the course of several years.