Saturday, August 31, 2013

Finally Friday (and three days to labor)

Friday was another hot and humid day, with temps in the mid-80’s. Michelle did a morning “breakfast run” to McDonalds so I had “second breakfast” of a sausage and egg McMuffin.

I had planned to go home for lunch, with a stop at GFS for charcoal and more kitchen bar towels. But, I was feeling stuffed and the idea of eating another hamburger seemed too much.

So, I went to the Newburgh Grill and had a cup of mediocre clam chowder and a mini Greek salad. Then I went to Lowe’s and got some "Cowboy" lump charcoal, their version of bar towels and some paint stripper.

Just after 4:00 p.m., my boss sent most of us home for the Holiday (nice). She and Reggie, the poor Help Desk guy, stayed to cover for us.

So, I got an early start on my long weekend labors. I started by cutting the front lawn with the push mower. Now, I’ve managed to keep the black walnuts on the front lawn to a minimum (by throwing them into the empty lot next door, so the squirrels can still find them). But the side lawn is a real hazard! There’s another black walnut tree just behind that big maple with the tree garden. Unfortunately, both are NOT on my lot.

I have to address these soon before I turn an ankle! But they are falling faster than I can get rid of them.

Then I took the push mower out back and cut all the spots the lawn tractor can’t reach. Speaking of things I can’t seem to keep up with, there were a lot more ripe cherry and Roma tomatoes. So I picked them all and put them in my old plastic colander (that’s my veggie-picking basket – lightweight, and a built-in drain when I rinse my harvest).

The green peppers were finally coming in and the yellow squash plants were dead. The peppers weren’t quite big enough to pick, but I did pull out the squash plants.

I opened the shed to find out what kind of seed was in the Pennington bag, but still can’t tell Carl. All it said was “sun and shade mix.”  So, I locked the shed back up and went inside for the evening. It was 7:40 p.m.

My daughter Melissa called just after I came in. We chatted for a while. They are s-l-o-w-l-y adjusting to living life in Michigan again. Apparently, its quite different here, in a lot of ways, from North Carolina!

After we hung up, I still didn’t feel like eating dinner, so I snacked on all the cherry tomatoes (delicious, and I couldn’t get them any fresher!)

It was just after 10:00 p.m. and I was debating on whether or not to just go to bed when the weather alert went off. A severe thunderstorm was heading my way. Sure enough, about 20 minutes later, it blew in. “Severe” was putting it mildly! It wasn’t lightning and then thunder, but continual flashes (like a strobe light) and rolling thunder. The wind thrashed through the trees and seemed to keep changing directions. I sat in the dark living room and watched it all.

The rain came in sheets and then I heard a weird sound. It was small hail hitting the windows! The storm only lasted about a half hour, but it was intense! After it was over, I went to bed.

Sidebar: I went out Saturday morning and checked the gauge. That short, but wicked storm dumped 3/4-inch of rain on my yard! Thanks, I needed that. And, I didn’t see any major tree limbs down. I didn’t need that…


  1. We got a lighter version on the East side...Wind, rain light show...but no hail. Yes we need the rain!!
    Don't worry about the pennington's...Lowe's add had the Sun and Shade on sale (but no price)

  2. Glad you got the grass thing handled! There's more than enough bald stuff going on at your place, much less the lawn.