Monday, July 29, 2013

Sunday, Bloody Sunday

Sometime in the night, Caley jumping up on the bed woke me up. She walked next to me, so I reached out to pet her. Apparently, Scruffy (who I didn’t know was sleeping next to me) took umbrage at that. So, he tried to bite her. Unfortunately, my hand was between the two of them and he nailed me in the ring finger. Damn that hurt!

I got up and was bleeding like a stuck pig. So, I washed it out with peroxide and put a tight bandage on it. I finally got back to sleep, but it was throbbing.

I woke up Sunday morning and my still-throbbing finger was a deep red. I figured I had put the bandage on too tight (I didn’t want to bleed on the sheets). So, I took it off, washed it out again (it was still bleeding), put some Neosporin on it and a looser bandage.

I had some coffee and filled in the rather extensive Blog entry.  But my finger still was throbbing and still red so, fearing infection, I ate the last four amoxicillin tablets I had in-house (for dental visits).

I had another cup of coffee (breakfast seemed too much trouble) and started my grocery list. I shaved, showered, dressed and headed to Kroger’s at 10:00 AM. I got everything I needed (mostly restocking pantry items) and went home. I got back there about 11:30.

I treated the cats (cursing Scruffy under my breath) and unpacked the groceries. I had one more cup of coffee and then made some lunch (not having breakfast was beginning to bother me). I made a ham and cheese sandwich, with a McClure’s dill pickle on the side. 

Then I went out to unload the trailer. I looked for my neighbor, to ask him to help, but he was absent. I started by taking off the bungee cord web and took out all the boxes and loose stuff. Then I took off the 2x4’s I screwed into the trailer bed.

I realized I should have done this with the trailer attached to the car, so it wouldn’t flip up. But, instead, I put jack stands under the rear frame. Then I loosened the tie-downs and got the mini-bike off. This was harder than it sounds as we noticed when we tried to load it that the rear wheel was locked up. During loading, we rolled it on the front tire and picked up the rear.

Here, I just slid (well, dragged) it backwards. When the rear end went off the trailer, gravity pulled the rest off, LOL! Not pretty, but effective!!

The hardest part about getting the Triumph off was undoing the tie-downs. I put it up on the center stand and then got to work on them, alternating from side to side, so the tension on one side wouldn’t topple it over. When it was finally free, I took it off the center stand and rolled it off the trailer. It hung up momentarily on the center stand, but I got it free, then down.

It had been steadily getting darker outside, although it was only 2:00 PM. So, I hurried to get the trailer out in the back and swept out before it started raining.  Then I quickly pulled the car back in the garage. I didn’t want to have to deal with mud, either out back or in the driveway! I took a bunch of photos for Jake (as he requested).

I came inside and washed my hands, even though I’d worn work gloves through most of the unloading. I changed the bandage and noticed my finger was a lot less red.

I processed the photos and sent them off. I started the last load of laundry. My back was hurting, so I lay down and tried to take a nap. BTW, it never did rain and the sun was back out by 3:00 PM! But, it was only 66 degrees F. and felt like Fall.

Between my finger and my back, I couldn’t fall asleep, though. It did rain for a brief while around 4:00 PM. I gave up trying to sleep at 5:00 and started my Sunday supper.

I decided the cool weather was perfect for meatloaf. Hell, a few more days like Sunday and I'll be making chili, stew and soup!

As you know, I have several methods of making meatloaf. But, I was not using any of my tried and true recipes. I was using one I found on the Internet the other day. It’s one of those copycat recipes. This time it was for the Boston Market meatloaf, which I’ve never even tried. But, it was so different from the way that I make meatloaf, I thought I’d give it a shot.

So, I warmed up one cup of tomato sauce, 1 1/2 tablespoons of barbeque sauce (it calls for Kraft, but I only have Sweet Baby Ray’s, so that’s what I used) and one tablespoon of sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. I stirred it until it started to bubble, then I pulled it off and let it cool.

Meanwhile, I put 1 1/2 pounds of ground sirloin in a large mixing bowl. I added in all but two tablespoons of the tomato/barbeque sauce I’d made and mixed it well by hand (I had to use rubber gloves due to my bandage).

Then I added in six tablespoons of all-purpose flour (I told you it was different enough that I just had to try it, LOL), 3/4 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon of fresh ground pepper and a dash of garlic powder. I mixed that all by hand until I was satisfied it was incorporated. Then I did the unthinkable (for me, anyway), I put it all into a loaf pan! I covered it with aluminum foil and stuck it in a preheated 400 degree F. oven.

Then I took four medium sized baking potatoes, punched holes in them with a fork, rubbed them with canola oil and heavily (HEAVILY) salted them with Kosher salt. I used tongs (didn’t want my rubber gloves to melt, LOL) and put the potatoes on the rack, next to the loaf pan. I set the timer for 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes, I pulled out the loaf pan, took off the foil, drained the excess fat and cut it into eight equal slices (all the way through, BTW). The I drizzled the last two tablespoons of tomato/barbeque sauce right down the middle. You are not supposed to spread it, so I didn’t. Then I stuck the uncovered loaf pan back in the oven for 30 more minutes.

When the timer went off again, I pulled out the loaf pan and let it rest a few minutes. I checked the baked potatoes and they were done. So, I split one, topped it with butter, sour cream and a sprinkling of fresh cut chives from my garden. I put two slices of meatloaf on the plate as well and went in to watch the news while I ate supper.

Well, the potato was excellent, as always, crispy outside, soft inside. I do believe this is the best way to bake a potato!

The meatloaf tasted great, but I kinda missed the texture of onions, or green peppers or something. However, I must say I did really like the taste.

I watched Mountain Man, took a pain pill and went to bed at 10:00 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment