Thursday, July 25, 2013

Hump Day

Wednesday was a beautiful day, weather-wise: Cool, cloudy at times, but not hot or humid.

Today was the department summer get-together, so we did. It was potluck, but with chicken, roasted potatoes and lasagna furnished by the company. They had decided this year not to grille, which was fine with me. Of course, since I am the only one in the department with a corporate credit card, I had to pick up the chicken and potatoes (I had the lasagna delivered, LOL).

A good time was had by all.

One interesting note: Taj, a PeopleSoft (ERP) programmer was introducing me to several new members of their team. They are upgrading for the first time in years and had to expand. She said, “And this is John Goerlich.” I said, “Better known as Jake’s Dad.” They looked confused, so I said, “Sooner or later, somebody’s going to bring up Jake and that I am Jake’s Dad, so we might as well get it over with now.” So, Taj started explaining (well, actually raving) about Jake. Just then, Rob, a long-term member of the ERP team walked up and the first thing he said was, “Hi, John, how’s Jake?” Everybody roared and it was his turn to look confused…

Vicky’s brother Lewis drove her and Yanessa to the party, although she didn’t let anybody know they were coming (She wasn't sure she'd actually feel like it when it was time to go). She showed up just as the party was breaking up, so half the people had already left. But the ones who were still there were glad to see her.

When I got home after work, I started the Wednesday night wash. Then I went out to the garage. I noticed last night when I attempted to put up the new flag that the pole was in pretty bad shape. The wood knob on the top had split and whatever it was originally coated in had worn off, down to bare, unprotected wood. So, I fixed the crack in the knob with paint-able caulk. Then I drilled a 3/4-inch hole on an angle into a 2x4. I used that as a holder to paint the flagpole with the almond spray paint leftover from the shed.

While I was out front, I saw a box on the porch. It was my new charcoal starter and I was excited! I took it out of the box and examined it. It was much larger than the old one. And, where the old one had a flat grate, the new one has a spiral cone (so more of the charcoal is exposed to the fire). I took some photos for you, but was not sure you could see what I meant.

While the flagpole dried, I cut the front lawn with the push mower. I took the flagpole inside to finish drying, cut the side lawn then went in for the night. I put the clothes in the dryer and warmed up the spaghetti and meatballs for my dinner.

I watched some TV,  and then hung up or folded the clothes, but went to bed before 10:00 PM. I opened the bedroom window again before turning in. I love that fresh, cool air!


  1. Glad to see your back in business...........BBQ business

  2. No, that charcoal starter is cool! Seriously cool! It's like twice the size and all business.