Sunday, June 30, 2013

Another Saturday Story

I woke up on Saturday at (what else?) 5:30 AM. Since it was Saturday, I made some soft-boiled eggs for breakfast and lingered over my second cup of coffee.

But, all good things come to an end, and I had to get ready for my Saturday morning errands. First came my massage appointment, followed immediately by my long-overdue haircut. Since they were back-to-back, I was late for the haircut.

My barber is trying to find her old waffle maker. She saw something on the internet about using them to make other things, like Panini, crispy grilled cheese sandwiches or even brownies. So, she’s jazzed about trying it. If she can’t find it, she said she’ll start going to yard sales, lol!

Then I went to Kroger’s for supplies and weekend food. I got everything that I needed except for Blue cheese (oh, they have it, but, bah!) and Adobo seasoning (that they didn’t have). All my recent research into Puerto Rican dishes have led me to believe that, along with the Achiote oil, I need some Adobo seasoning or sauce. What kills me is that I had it in my hand at the Dos Hermanos market but put it back when Vicky said her mother never uses it.

But, my confidence in Westborn was shaken when I couldn’t find any. One of the young girls that work there is Hispanic and a friend of mine, so I hunted her up. She said she keeps telling them to put it on the list, but they haven’t so far. She asked what I was making, so I explained. She said I could make homemade Adobo sauce, if I didn’t mind a little work.

She took me over and got a packet of dried Ancho chiles. She explained how to make it and then said, “Wait a minute, I’ll write it down for you.” So, she went away for a bit and came back with the ingredients and instructions written down on the back of a receipt. I thanked her and checked out.

Sidebar: I had to laugh, she writes like Vicky!

Oh, yeah, I forgot. Instead of “Kroger blue cheese crumbles,” I got a small chunk of Gorgonzola Dolce from Italy. Granted, there was a slight price difference, but I only need a little bit and I’m worth it!

Back home, I unloaded and unpacked the groceries. I changed clothes and went out back. I attached the tomatoes to their trellis. I don’t know if it is all the rain we’ve had, but I believe this is the best vegetable garden I ever grew here (so far, anyway).

I took the two semi-flattened downspouts I had saved and cut off the bad parts. Then I slipped them onto the downspout in the front of the garage (which never had an extension) and the one by the wisteria in back (that I ran over with the mower). I used 1/2-inch self-tapping metal screws to secure them.

I put the pig and the gnomes back outside. I had put them away for the big mulch project and forgot to return them. I spotted them while cleaning out the garage.

Then I dug up eight clumps of tiger lilies for a lady who lives in the townhouses and had asked me where she could buy them a while back. I told her not to buy them; I’d give them to her. I left them in a garbage bag on her stoop, as per our prior arrangement. She has to have dialysis treatments and is gone a lot. I did notice she is one of the few people in the townhouses that has flowers planted around her door.

Then I opened the garage door and started working again. A little while later, the tiger lily neighbor walked over. She said the new landlord has raised the rent and she has to move! Worse yet, she’s moving to an apartment and will have no place to plant flowers.

She’s lived here for eight years, BTW. She said she was still going to plant the tiger lilies for whoever moves in next and would be coming back to water them. I told her they grow like weeds and not to worry about them. She asked to borrow a shovel, so I gave her one. A little while later, she brought it back.

She said she’s supposed to graduate from Wayne State in 2014, and if she gets a good job, she might move back. We said our goodbyes and I wished her well.

I was hungry, but didn’t want to spend too much time on food. So, I opened a can of beans and cut up two hot dogs in them. I took a break and ate a late lunch watching a DIY show. It had been clouding up and looking threatening all damn day, so I decided not to try and grill tonight.

I went back to working in the garage for a while. Then I took another load of “stuff” out to the shed. Despite my Brother Carl’s remonstrations, I took my time putting it all away.

I went inside again (after weeding about the reflecting pool) and was surprised to see it was 7:30 PM! I decided I’d done enough for today and quit for the evening. I took a rinse-off shower and then I did my last security walk-through o make sure everything was buttoned up for the evening.

I noticed my friends the fireflies are back and all over the yard. I love those little guys!

I watched uninspiring TV for a while, then switched to a book and finally bed. It never did rain...

No comments:

Post a Comment