Friday, May 31, 2013

Thursday’s Tale

It was hot, muggy and sticky on Thursday. I went to the Time Out for lunch and had a grilled ham and cheese on pita bread with fries. It was excellent. Then I went to Goodwill and dropped some clothes off.

They predicted scattered showers in the afternoon as the heat built up. But I held out hope that they would go somewhere else and I could cut the back lawn tonight. Friday and Saturday look to be washouts.

It did rain briefly about 1:30 PM. I know because I had to run out and close my sunroof and got soaked. But, by the time I took my 3 o’clock walk, the water had dried up in the heat. So, I was still hopeful!

But, at about 4:45 PM, a wicked storm hit. The winds drove the rain sideways and it felt like the wind was shaking the actual building! Unbelievable violence!

I asked Vicky just how fast a pregnant Puerto Rican could run. She said she thought she could make it to her car and asked me how fast an old man could run (she's spunky). I explained that old crips do not run, we just get wet.

But, miraculously, the storm ended just at 5:00 PM. It was still drizzling and the storm drains were definitely overflowing, but the fierce storm had passed. Against my better judgment, I took the freeway home. It was stop and go and I never got over 40 miles per hour.

But, I finally made it. Before I even went inside, I took a hoe and created a channel for the driveway water to run into my ditch (that mud is unbelievable). A neighbor from down the road was walking his dog and he said, “I love what you did with the front yard (meaning the mulch). It looks great!” I replied, “Yes, but that Bobcat was a BAD idea.” He just chuckled and said it didn’t look THAT bad. I’m glad he can’t see the back yard!

I treated the cats and washed my hands at the kitchen sink. I noticed that the extension cords were gone, the sawhorses were gone and even the little step ladder next to the fence was gone.

So, I grabbed the camera and headed outside. Sure enough, the keys were in the shed door. When I opened it up, the wedges (remember the shed pad was not level) were in place and the whole thing was now bolted to the pad. I took several photos, but when I processed them, I realized they were all more or less the same. So. I’ll post just one.

Damn! I wish it wasn’t so wet out there, or I’d start filling up my shed, making shelves and so on. Rick wasn’t around to thank, so I’ll put that on my ToDo list. I locked the shed door (yeah, I said that!) and went back inside.

I watched the weather on the news and the storm that hit here was approaching Oakland and Macomb counties. They have “Severe Storm Warnings” out but I didn’t hear anything about “Warnings” in Livonia or Redford. I must have missed that (or we’re expendable…)

I fixed a Marie Callender’s Swedish Meatball entrée for dinner. I had bought it on sale a while ago and it was in my chest freezer. I gotta tell you, it was my least favorite Marie Callender’s dish ever. But, the good news is there are only two items left in my chest freezer! So, I can thaw it out and clean it soon!!!

I finally watched the new episode of Longmire. It was worth the wait!

I read for a while after that and then went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment