Monday, November 23, 2009

Low and Slow on Sunday

After posting the Blog entry on Sunday morning, I went back to bed. Hey, it was still dark, I was tired and why not? I woke back up about 8:00 AM. When I looked out the kitchen window, there was fog so thick I couldn't see the rear wall! I guess I should stop saying how that never happens here in Redford!

I checked the recipe I had for Slow-roasted beef (America's Test Kitchen) and found I'd made a mistake. Well, it's all kinda sketchy at this point, anyway. I'm supposed to be using a 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 bottom boneless eye-round roast. Instead I have the only roast left from last year's beef purchase, a 2 1/2 pound beef tip roast.

But I was supposed to heavily salt it, wrap it in cling wrap and let it sit in the refrigerator for 18 - 24 hours. So, I took off the netting and salted it, wrapped it up and stuck it back in the fridge.

Then I spent some time cleaning up from last night's dinner. I filled and then ran the dishwasher and took apart the stove top (that two-burner griddle pan always messes up stuff). I washed the drip pans, dried them and got the stove put back together, fueled by yesterday's coffee.

I warmed up a hot dog for my lunch, put it on a bun with mustard and onions and ate that watching a movie.

About 4:00 PM, I started making the roast. I rinsed off the salt and patted it dry with paper towels. Then I rubbed it with two teaspoons of black pepper. I put some oil in my skillet and browned it on all sides (in spite of the microwave fan and having the kitchen window open, I still managed to set off the smoke detectors!)

Then I put the roast in an 8 x 8 aluminum pan and into the oven that was preheated to 225 degrees F. I inserted the meat thermometer probe in it and set the temperature for 115 degrees.

While that was roasting, I prepped the mashed potatoes and Brussels sprouts. I was gonna roast the Brussels sprouts, but that takes a 400 degree oven and I am going low and slow today. So, I cut the stem off of each one, took off the outer leaves and cut them in half. I put them in a pan to boil.

I cut the potatoes up into cubes and boiled them as well. I warmed a cup of milk up with a sprig of thyme from the patio and three smashed cloves of garlic.

The temperature alarm went off (after an hour or so) so I turned the oven off and left the roast in the oven (without opening the door) and reset the thermometer for 130 degrees (medium-rare). When that went off, I took the roast out and let it rest for 15 minutes.

When the potatoes were fork tender, I strained the milk and mashed the potatoes (adding my signature egg). I drained the Brussels sprouts and began to plate.

I noticed there weren't enough juices from the little roast to make pan gravy, so I opened a jar and warmed it. I cut two thin slices of roast beef off and added some butter and salt to the Brussels sprouts.

I took my dinner in and watched my Sunday evening shows. The potatoes and the Brussels sprouts were to die for (seriously) but the roast beef was a little chewy for my liking. I'm not sure if it was the wrong cut of beef or I did something wrong. But, the taste was great!


  1. An egg?? In the mashed potatoes? Doesn't raw egg make you sick? I never heard of that before and was just wondering, I also love brussels sprouts however they don't love me and I am not allowed to eat them if my Carl's are home or will be home sooner than 12 hours!!! Hope all is good with you..

  2. Nah, the heat of the potatoes cooks the egg while you mash it. It just gives the potatoes a richer taste, I think!

    If you like Brussels sprouts, you should taste the ones Carla makes with bacon! Outstanding!

  3. In addition, raw eggs -- from govery stores -- are refrigerated and rarely make you sick. I eat raw eggs all the time.