Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The First Cut is the Deepest...

... but the last cut is the sweetest! I am speaking, of course of the lawn.

I woke up at 4:00 AM and couldn't get back to sleep on Tuesday. I tried everything but, after the disturbing dream that woke me up, when I did doze off that damn dream started again. I hate that!

The dream? I was alone out at Lake Orion. A boat-load of people pulled up to the dock (some men, but mostly women). Every one of them had double-barreled shotguns. I was locked in the cottage and had to try and figure out a hiding place (which is pretty hard since, if you've ever been to the cottage you know, there isn't even any closets). As they came up the front and back step, anyplace the men touched, the women would spray with cleaner and wipe off their finger prints... Oh, oh...

Anyway, I gave up and got up. I ground up more fresh coffee beans and made a big pot. I read my book on the couch until it was time to shave and shower and then got ready for therapy.

When I was there, she announced she had two more exercises to add to my routine. I mentioned that she keeps adding exercises, but rarely takes any away! She just smiled and said, "Well, that's my job!"

Back home, I ate a big breakfast and then sat on the couch, reading for another hour. Next I took one of those nasty pain pills (the breakfast was supposed to keep me from barfing and seemed to work).

At 11:00 AM, I thought it was finally warm enough, so I got on a hat, my leather coat (it's a little windy out there) and my work gloves. I got out the step ladder and started cleaning out the gutter over the porch and garage.

I got that one done, but it damn near killed me! Climb up the ladder three steps, clean out two feet of gutter, climb back down, move the ladder and repeat. My right leg is now shot and I put the ladder back in the garage. The other two will have to wait!

I got out the blower and blew all the leaves on the porch, the front garden and the mess I dug out of the gutter onto the side lawn. Then I got out the mower and carefully cut in only one direction, blowing the mulched leaves into the lot next door.

I opened the back gate, closed the garage door and headed out to the back yard. I wish now I'd taken a "Before" photo, because you could only see the grass in a few places. It was mostly fallen leaves!

I always cut the back lawn like my father showed me how to plow. Four times around the perimeter (so you have room to turn and the rows are straight), then up the middle and back down one edge. Unfortunately, it leaves half the lawn clean and the other half littered. So, when I finished, I checked the gas and then re-cut the littered half again in only one direction.

I finally finished about 3:00 PM. I put everything away, closed everything up, washed up, took the "After" photos and then took another pain pill. I sat on the couch with my leg up, waiting for it to work.

My daughter Melissa called about 5:00 PM. I was surprised when she told me that it was pouring there because of that hurricane Ida. I thought they said this morning on the Weather Channel it had just reached the coast of Florida and Louisiana. It must be a fast mover!

After we hung up, I started making dinner. It was supposed to be potato leek soup, but I burned the damn leeks when I was saut�ing them! And, those were all the leeks I had!! Disgusted, I cleaned out the mess and put the stock pot in the downstairs tub to soak. I had no other choice as, when properly cooked, leeks are mild and sweet. But, when burned, they turn quite bitter. I guess I had the burner a little higher than it should have been.

Back in the kitchen and still hungry, I checked the fridge. No leftovers and everything else is frozen. So, I opened a can of Dinty Moore beef stew, warmed it up and wandered in to eat and watch TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment