Sunday, August 24, 2008

It's all good in the 'hood...

I woke up at 7:00 AM. As we creep towards fall, the sunrise is later and doesn't wake me up early, like it used to. So, I stumbled into the day. I decide against coffee or breakfast (both seem like too big of a deal) and hop into the shower to wake up.

I have a lot of mini-trips to make. First I went to the Feed Store and got 40 pounds of bird feed and four suet cakes. Next, I went to Lowe's, in Westland, to ask about this week's project. According to the lady on the phone, I really needed to talk to Anne. Well, Anne was busy with another customer. So I declined help from others and waited... and waited... and waited...

The guy she was talking to was buying three rooms of carpeting and a new kitchen floor. So, 45 minutes later, I finally got to talk with Anne about putting tile on my kitchen counter. But, it was worth it, as I now know a lot more than I did before. Seems pretty daunting and expensive. But, it will be worth it if I can pull this off.

On the way back home, I stopped at Kroger's to get the bulk of the grocery shopping done. After that, I stopped at Westborn to get some Michigan bi-colored sweet corn (10 ears for $1.99). I got home just after 12:30 PM.

I unpacked the groceries and then lugged the bird seed out back. I filled up the feeder and the suet cage, and then filled up the birdbath. Since I had the hose out and on, I stuck it in the reflecting pool for a while, using my net to get out the yucky bits as they floated to the top.

Back inside, I installed the two fluorescent lights I bought at Lowe's in the fixture over my wood-working bench. I also put two new ones in the fixture over the main work bench, but could not get them to light up. WTF?

I used my kitchen shears (I love those, BTW) to cut off the stalks and silk from the corn, then put the ears in my big stock pot. I filled it with water and put a plate, plus a weight, on top of the corn to hold them submerged.

After that, I thought a nap might be in order, so I laid down for an hour or so. I went out and started the charcoal on fire at around 5:30 PM. Back inside, I made the ground chuck I bought into 8 patties. Note: I forgot to try the Chef Bobby Flay trick! To compensate for the burgers rising in the middle as they cook, he makes an indent in the middle of the patty with his thumb. This makes the patty return to its original shape and not plump up. But, like I said, I forgot to do it! I seasoned them with the house seasoning and let them come up to room temperature.

So, first I grilled the sweet corn. When I judged it was done, I pulled it all to the cool side of the grill and started the burgers. While they were cooking (and plumping, lol), I shucked the corn (too messy for inside). I pulled off the meat when I figured it was medium rare and took everything inside.

I ate one hamburger (with just yellow mustard and mayonnaise) and three ears of corn for dinner. The burger wasn't that special, but it did reassure me of the true taste of a hamburger, after the over-cooked burger I ate on Friday at the company picnic. Note: I rue not buying some chipotle peppers when I was at Westborn. They would have been great, charred, and then sliced on top of the burgers. Oh, well.

I watched an old movie (recorded) and then decided to go to bed at 10:00 PM. But I woke up (wide awake) at 2:00 am. I sat on the porch for a while, watching the lightning. It sprinkled here, but not enough to matter, so far. I'll check the rain gauge in the morning and decide on whether or not to water. I opened the windows and went back to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment