Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Terrific Tuesday

I woke up at 5:30 a.m. on Tuesday. I threw my clothes on, grabbed the kitchen trash and put it in the trashcan that was already out at the road. It was 54 degrees and, even though I just had shorts and a t-shirt on, I wasn't that cold.

It was supposed to get to 80 degrees today, BTW. So, it was a good day to get the last of the outdoor cleanup done.

I had some oatmeal for breakfast and, this time, remembered to take my pills.

I watched the news and then the Today show until 9:00 a.m. Then I shaved, showered and got dressed for town. I needed some celery and a green pepper.

Also, I discovered I still had one of Facilities Michelle's containers when I was downsizing the soup. So, I filled it up with soup and emailed her to see if she was at the office today. Here was her response:

"OMG! I was so saddened to find you had left and I didn’t have a way to keep in touch… I stopped by to talk to you and John told me you didn’t give typical notice… almost thought to stop in at your house – but thought that inappropriate (if I could pick correct one since it’s been years!)

I am at work today (do have meeting at 11 for ½ hr and 1:30 for about an hour)."

So, I drove to Building 7. It took forever to get up those stairs to Facilities. But it was worth it! I got a big hug that almost knocked me over. We sat for a while and talked about things (why I quit, what she's been up to, etc.) I told her it is never inappropriate to stop by the house (she used to come over a lot when she worked for me, back in the day) and reminded her where it was.

I gave her the soup and took my leave. She said she's walk me down. I told her she better give me a head start as the stairs were killing me. She suggested it might be quicker if she pushed me.

Out at the truck, I got another big hug and, this time, a kiss. Nice.

I took Hines Drive back to Inkster (haven't been that way in a while) and then Joy Road to that little weird grocery store just east of Beech Daily. I got my veggies and headed home.

I backed the truck in so I could load the toy box. But, just then, my neighbor (who I was going to ask to help) waved at me as he drove away! Damn.

Sidebar: It's not THAT heavy, but its awkward. 

I began to make tomorrow's side dish: A simple macaroni salad (it tastes best if refrigerated overnight, you see).

I cooked one pound (four cups) of elbow macaroni, rinsed it in cold water a few times and stuck it in the fridge.

Meanwhile, I sliced up two stalks of celery, diced one large onion and chopped up the green pepper. I mixed that in with the macaroni and then made the dressing.

I used one cup of mayonnaise, 1/4 cup of distilled white vinegar, 2/3 cup of sugar, 2 1/2 teaspoons of prepared yellow mustard, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. I put all that in a jar, put the lid on it and shook it the hell up (saved washing the whisk and a bowl). I folded it into the macaroni/veggie mix and put it in my big bowl (which had been housing the soup) and stuck it in the fridge.

Amanda called to remind me I need to deliver it after 5:30 p.m. when Scott would be home to help unload it. I told her I just missed my neighbor and she volunteered to stop by after work to help me load it. I accepted her offer!

She stopped by and we got the toy box loaded up. I had put down painter's canvas (or whatever the hell it's called) and I wrapped it up in that, then used bungee cords to secure the canvas. She left to go get her son from school and I went and moved boxes from the office to the downstairs.

I rested a while on the bed.

I got up at 4:30 p.m. and changed from my home clothes into long pants and a shirt. I headed out to Dearborn about 10 minutes before 5:00 (I hoped to avoid rush hour traffic jams).

Sidebar: That idea didn't work. The intersection of I-96 and the Southfield freeway was a mess.

But, I still got to their house before Scot. Keldon was taking a nap, so Amanda and I got the toy box out of the truck and onto their porch (no way could I walk up the stairs carrying it). I put the canvas into the cab and locked the truck.

Amanda was ticked off! Well, maybe just frustrated. She was going to surprise me with some sort of shrimp dish for dinner. But, the shrimp was still frozen. So, she ordered a pizza and some cheese bread from Jets pizza as I was pulling in.

She left to go pick it up while I sat in the house in case Keldon woke up. Scot came home before she did and we shot the shit for a while.

She came back and made me a plate with a slice of pizza and a piece of bread. She asked if I wanted any Ranch dressing for my bread and I said no (not a big fan of Ranch dressing although I now see people everywhere put it on everything).

The pizza was a combination I would have never thought of but it was fantastic, BTW. She ordered pepperoni, mushrooms and bacon. Odd, but delicious.

I told them how, back in our bachelor days, Jake and I used to get the Jet Boats for dinner in St. Clair.

They woke Keldon up, both to eat dinner and so he would go to bed at the usual time.

I had another slice of pizza and bread. This time Amanda demanded I try at least one bite with the Ranch dressing, so I did. It was okay, I guess, but I still don't see what all the fuss is about, LOL!

When everyone was finished, Amanda said she was driving me and Keldon to get some dessert (they normally walk the four or five blocks but she was worried about me). She worries a lot about me...

We went to Shatila on Warren Avenue. Shatila is a Middle Eastern bakery that has a large eating area

and a mind-blowing assortment of middle eastern sweets (with some French pastries) and ice cream at another counter. Both Scot and Amanda rave about their ice cream, They say it tastes more like Gelato. Having never tasted Gelato, I couldn't say.

Anyway, both Keldon and I got one scoop in a cup. he got apricot (with big chucks of apricot in the orange colored ice cream) while I got Pistachio (haven't seen that in years!) Amanda got her usual shake made from Oreo cookie ice cream.

Mine was excellent!!!

We went back home. I popped into the house to say goodbye to Scot. Keldon thanked me once again for the toy box and then I headed home.

I forgot to send a text to Amanda that I had made it home safely (a rule both she and Vicky hold dear), and I was changing clothes when she called. I apologized, but explained it had been a long day.

I had just started watching NCIS when my daughter Melissa called. She has tried calling several times recently, BTW. So we talked for a long time.

When we finally hung up, I thought about watching the rest of NCIS (it tapes) but I realized just how tired I really was. So, I went to bed instead. 

As I was falling asleep, I realized I didn't get one damn thing done outside...

No comments:

Post a Comment