Sunday, October 8, 2017

Saturday Road Trip

I woke up for real on Saturday at 6:30 a.m. I say for real, as I was awake all night almost every hour for bathroom breaks. It had rained hard overnight, BTW. I ate scrambled eggs for breakfast.

I had two "change of plan" issues. First, I saw an email my son Jeremy had sent Friday after 6:00 p.m. He said he's been traveling all week for his work, he was wiped out and could his planned visit be postponed until next Sunday. I said sure, I had no problem working to his schedule since I no longer have one.

Next, Amanda, Keldon and I had planned on attending the Annual Applefest at St. Stephen's Catholic church in New Boston, Michigan. However, she called Saturday morning and said she had learned that it was just a craft and vendor show. But she had found an alternative that had a petting zoo, horseback rides, a magic show and a hay ride to a pumpkin patch. She said it was a hike, but wondered if I wanted to go there instead.

I said,  "Sure, why not?" She said they would pick me up at 11:00 a.m.

I had some time to kill, so I washed the stove top. I put the cast iron stove grates into the dishwasher and turned it on. Then I stripped the bed and threw the bedding in the washer.

I shaved, showered and got dressed. I had gotten my Food Network magazine in the mail on Friday, so I read that until my ride showed up. When she did, we headed out. I found out we were going to Upland Hills Farm Fall Festival up near Oxford.

Sidebar: I'm not sure, but I think I was there once when the boys were young.

It took about an hour, but we finally got there. It was too early for the next magic show, so we spent some time walking in the mud, looking around.

Then we got in line for the magic show. We walked up broad stairs and grabbed a seat for Amanda and me. Keldon sat on the floor with all the other kids.

Baffling Bill (the magician) came out and did a few tricks (excellent, BTW). Then he called for volunteers from the kids to tie his hands up. He picked two and Keldon was one of them!


After the show was over, we did more petting zoo stuff. Both Keldon and Amanda milked a cow, petted goats and played with kittens. I practically had to drag them away from the kittens!

Then they both went for a pony ride. I stayed on a picnic table as the designated photographer.

When the cowboy and cowgirl were done riding, we stopped in for some snacks They just had pop and some sun chips because they ate breakfast at 10:00 a.m. But, I ate breakfast at 6:00 a.m. So, I got a hot dog with a donut and cider for dessert. I was not impressed with any of it.

Then it was time for the hay ride to the pumpkin patch. Now, these were wagons designed for hay rides, unlike the one at the Redford Octoberfest. So, they were lower with a completely open rear. So (with Amanda hovering), I stepped up, got my butt on the wagon bed and just sat there. We were in the middle wagon of three, BTW. I took a few photos.

Amanda took a selfie of us.

Now, you had two options at the pumpkin patch. One was to stay on the wagon after they turned around and stop at the patch. They other was to take a path at the turnaround and walk through the Enchanted Forest to the patch. Amanda asked if I thought I could do the walk. I was still feeling pretty good about getting into the wagon, so I said, "Sure!" How bad could a little walk be, anyway.

So, we got off and headed out with other travelers through the forest. The enchanted part was a variety of little places for fairies and gnomes.

But, this was no flat path through the woods. It went up and down steep hills. Sometimes the only thing that kept me from falling were the tree roots on the surface of the path! We finally got there (thank God) and I hobbled over to the picnic benches while Amanda and Keldon picked out a pumpkin.

Needless to say, I could not repeat my easy ascension to the hay wagon. But, two younger guys in our wagon hopped out and helped me up.

Back from the hayride, Keldon wanted to pet the kittens once more and then play on the playground before we left.

On the hay ride, we had been discussing eating something on the way home and couldn't decide between Chinese or Mexican. One of the guys who helped me up suggested a Mexican restaurant in Lake Orion called Forest. He said the food was excellent an not very expensive. We were sold, so we headed there.

It turned out to be on Lapeer just south of Heights Road and Waconda!

I had my usual beef enchiladas with rice and refried beans. Keldon had two of three tacos and Amanda ordered steak fajitas. I ate most of mine, but they both took the rest of theirs home.

They dropped me off and I hobbled inside. I laid down on the bed to rest my legs for a bit and fell asleep When I woke up, I changed my clothes.

I watched the news and then the Michigan/Michigan State game. It started raining like hell (first at the stadium and a bit later here) with high winds!

Sidebar: The football was so wet that both teams kept dropping it.

After all my food excesses of the day, when I got hungry I ate a Granny Smith apple and salt for a snack.

My nap allowed me to stay up for Saturday Night Live. Then I went to bed.


  1. No pictures of your gashes blood, bruises....congratulations, a successful day, Looks like a good time was had by all.

  2. Cute Minion tires. :)

    Did you get any pictures of Waconda. It would be interesting to see how it's doing.

  3. @ GPF: None visible, that is. Limped around all Sunday, though. However, it was a good time.
    @ Jyl: Of course not! I have no interest in the stupid house they replaced the cottage with.