Friday, October 6, 2017


I woke up around 7:00 a.m. on Thursday. I grabbed a cup of coffee and started working on the extensive Blog post.

Sidebar: Is it just me or have these posts gotten significantly longer since I retired? I've always been a grumpy old man, but now I fear I'm getting wordy.

After I finished with that, I made myself some breakfast. I sauteed some leftover diced onions in butter and then added one slice of ham after I diced that. I turned that into a three egg omelet with American cheese and rye toast.

It was delicious!

I shaved, showered and got dressed. Then I got to work.

I covered a 2' x 2' section of 3/4-inch plywood with two garbage bags that I duct taped on. I got my small bucket and bailed as much as I could out of the reflecting pool. Then I threw in two small sections of 2x4's (the winter's ice will crush them easier than the metal tub walls, you see). I moved the rocks away from the edges (so I could get a better seal). Then I put the board down and topped it with a 2x12 inch board. I piled some of the rocks on that (I didn't want the rocks to cut through the garbage bags)  and then the reflection pool was winterized.

I put the sprinklers, rain wand and the spray nozzle in the shed for the winter. Then I dragged the hose box from its usual location to the sidewalk (it does have rollers, but does not move easy. That sucker's heavy). I took the hose from the air compressor (after turning it on) out to the hose box and blew as much water as I could out. Whatever might be left in it is not enough to crack the hoses when it freezes.

It was 1:30 p.m., so I took a break and ate a ham sandwich for lunch while laying on the bed to rest a bit.

Then I moved the truck outside and cut out two rockers for the next project, a cradle. I jury-rigged another fixture and rough-sanded them. I couldn't find the bag that catches the sawdust on the belt sander anywhere, so I used the sander without it.

I got them close, but didn't have any sandpaper left that wasn't rough (the toy box used up my stash). Besides, I was covered with sawdust. So, I quit for the night.


My black t-shirt after sanding!

I used the air hose to blow as much sawdust off as I could. Then I put the rockers and truck in the garage, shut the door and treated the cat. I took off my clothes and took a rinse-off shower.

It was after 5:00 p.m. and I was tired. So, I decided putting the rest of the cabinet doors in the attic and/or installing the new smoke detector could wait.

Instead, I sat on the front porch in clean clothes, enjoying the day. It was 77 degrees with a nice breeze. I went in at 6:00 p.m. to watch the news.

I ate a piece of cold  chicken and a lot of macaroni salad for my dinner.

At 7:30 p.m., I turned on the Red Wings game. This was the first season opener played at Little Caesar's Arena (I like to think of it as MY arena, LOL!).

I fell asleep with just three minutes left in the third period. But the Wings had a comfortable 4 to 2 lead and (I found out Friday morning) that was the final score.

No comments:

Post a Comment