Friday, September 29, 2017


I slept in until 7:30 a.m. on Thursday. Finally!!! It was 51 degrees outside (in the 40's in the 'burbs).

I watched the news until I was hungry. Then I made some soft boiled eggs for breakfast.

I decided soul food could wait. It's too cold out there right now.

I eventually shaved, showered and got dressed. I did more hand sanding on the toy box, then I quit to make some soup.

Sidebar: this is a soup my daughter, Amy, "liked" on Facebook. It sounded good, so I thought I'd try it. But, if I ever make it again, I will have ALL the prep work done first. I thought I could wait on dicing the potatoes, but then had to pull the Dutch oven off the heat while I tried to catch up. Dumb...

So, I browned one pound of ground chuck, along with one onion (diced) and two cloves of garlic (minced). Then I drained the fat.

I added two diced potatoes, a box of beef broth (it called for three cups but I don't want a cup of beef broth sitting in the fridge), one 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes (with the juice), one can of condensed tomato soup, two teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce, one teaspoon Italian seasoning and a bay leaf.

I covered it and let it simmer for 30 minutes. When the timer went off, I tasted the broth and added salt and fresh ground pepper to my taste. Then I added three cups of mixed vegetables (fresh or frozen - mine were frozen). I let that simmer 15 minutes and then checked the potatoes. They were still a tad hard, so I let it simmer five minutes more. Note: the recipe said to simmer the soup 15-20 minutes until the potatoes were tender.

When the timer went off, I checked the potatoes. Much better! So, I pulled the Dutch oven off the heat and let it sit for a bit. I fished out the bay leaf, BTW.

I made a ham sandwich and ate that along with a bowl of soup for lunch. The soup was very good. It had a nice spicy flavor to it.

The afternoon consisted of some house cleaning and more hand sanding.

I had two bowls of soup for dinner and put the rest in the fridge after it cooled.

I fell asleep watching TV. I woke up at 11:00 p.m, so I watched the news and part of the Tonight show before going back to bed for real.

No comments:

Post a Comment