Sunday, September 17, 2017


I woke up at 5:30 a.m. on Saturday. I tried falling back asleep, but it didn't work. So, I got a cup of coffee and my muffin and filled in the blog.

Note to self: Next time, cut the muffin in half. It was delicious, but then I was stuffed.

I watched some of the morning news. Then I shaved, showered and got dressed to go to Kroger's.

Sidebar: It is an amazing weekend, weather-wise (with highs in the 80's, it feels more like July than September). Most of the smaller maples are starting to turn colors already. But I saw one yesterday on Five Mile on the way to Westborn that blew me away. Unfortunately, I was already past it so I couldn't take a picture.

But today, I turned down a side street so I could sneak up on it.

Kroger's wasn't packed, so I got in and out in a hurry. I did make one impulse buy. They had a beautiful t-bone steak on sale. I know, I know, I said, "All pasta salad, all weekend long." But, this probably is the last weekend this year to grill.

Kroger had already stopped selling sweet corn so I stopped at Westborn and got some sad looking corn I know I will regret. I also bought some good looking peaches.

Back home, I unloaded the truck and pulled it inside. It was still cool when I left, but it was hot now!

Speaking of falling leaves, my black walnut (always the first to go) has been raining yellow leaves for the past two weeks.

I put away the groceries and changed into work shorts and a t-shirt.

I decided to have some lunch before getting into a project. So, I dished up my first bowl of pasta salad. First impression? It needed way more salt (but I knew that). And, I put in too much broccoli and not enough green onions.

Note to self: Next time, measure! Winging it doesn't always work.

I rested on the bed while my lunch digested.

Now I fully intended on getting to work, hand-sanding the veneer edging on the toy box. But it was way too nice outside. So, I went out and sat on the front porch for a long while. It was hot, but there was a nice breeze.

Without my fellow porch monkey to talk to, I people-watched. I watched the people across the street come and go, cars and motorcycles passing, little kids playing and so on. Some of my neighbors passing by waved, which made me feel good.

When I finally went back inside, it was already 4:00 p.m.!

So, I got the kitchen set up for the sanding project tomorrow. I shoved the table back and got out the vacuum cleaner (to suck up sawdust). Since I am doing this by hand, I figured I could control it. Plus, if I do it in the kitchen, I can sit on a chair.

Sidebar: Normally, with veneer edging, you use a razor blade knife to trim it. But, that's for straight edges (like a shelf). There are almost no straight edges on this piece, just curves. So, the only alternative is to hand sand it flush with 150 grit sandpaper. Also, you might be wondering, "He had an orbital sander and a belt sander, so why do it by hand?" Because, the vibration might crack the veneer.

I was hungry again, so I ate more pasta salad. This time I ate around about half the broccoli.

I cleaned up the kitchen and ran the dishwasher.

I went in to watch the news, but sports games had run over and it wasn't on. So, I watched DIY shows until an early bedtime.

It wasn't as a productive of a day as I'd hoped, but it was a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment